1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

"walk behind" owners please respond

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott in the soo, Oct 19, 2005.

1. scott in the soo

scott in the soo LawnSite Member

i have been banging my head off the wall for the past few weeks trying to decide which walk behind to purchase for next spring. but one issue i can never seem to be at ease with is,, when side discharging, why aren't these big walk behinds leaving clumps or lines of grass. i have been side discharging with my ztr and an constantly having to double cut.. please fill me in how you guys are using these without bagging or mulching... thanx
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

they don't have as many problems because they don't go as fast. do you mow with your discharge chute down?
  3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont have a ztr but i'm thinking power.the engine dosent have all that weight to pull plus the operator so you get more blade tip speed. altho i could be wrong.
  4. TClawn

that is true also, the larger blade you have, the less rpms (even though the tip speed may be the same, the circumferance is longer).

once you get going, the engine should handle it fine. I too am having problems with with my Z cutting well. doesn't even hold a candle to my walkbehind. :( I am hoping that I can find a deck that will cut good, without being a pain to work with.
  5. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

W/B's are all we use. As far as clumping, it happens some times and we have to do some double cuts as well. But its only a rare occasion. Maybe its your speed, or a deck that is in need of a good cleaning. My older 48" spits grass probably a good 8-10 feet and its only a whimpy 14hp kawi. How long is the grass you are cutting? Long wet grass will cause clumping. If its just one mower doing the clumping I would definetly check it out because I see zrt's every day and they spit grass even further.
  6. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

whats wrong with mulching? my toro 32 proline mulches so good why would any one want to side discharge
  7. TClawn

imo, mulching has beens a fools errand for me. I would need a lot higher hp engines, and not be able to go full speed. SD really works better for me. but it is great on St. augustine.
  8. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i dont really like to mulch that much. i have to go slower in the thick wet stuff .takes too much time.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

uhhhh.... because my 48" comes from the factory with a rubber chute mounted on top of the discharge???? Now I should ask why are you using such a small mower, lol.
    And far as I know, ALL toro's are Recyclers.

For the other question, I will never buy anything other than 48" Toro Prolines 15hp Kohler. $2,800 for one of the fastest, lightest, most versatile machines around, you can't get a better Wb for the money. On the clumping, the fixed deck has the highest blade tip speed around and I don't usually have much a problem with this BUT when it gets bad (sometimes it does), I use the side discharge and drive in circles so as to pile the clumps all in the center then I pick it all up with rake + tarp, that's when 2-3 times over won't do.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We mulch(plate over outlet) with Scag and Snapper and cut some very big grass with little problem. You run in clockwise direction and the uint will work everything to middle and you can double that in a few minutes. We don't like side discharge because yoiu throw grass in a lot of places that customer don't like, and it is very unsafe when working in a crew environment.