1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind power questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Nov 20, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

As you may or may not know I've been using my LX-176 JD tractor for mowing my first year and am thinking about getting a real commercial mower. I am trying to decide between a ZTR and WB. I am concerned with the power of walk behinds. Seems the same deck size in a ZTR has a much larger engine. I assume this is because of the extra weight but if you add up the weight of a WB, a sulky and the operator, it is quite a load for the WB engine.

Exmark 52" Lazer HP 23hp = 965lbs + me (180lbs) = 1145lbs

Exmark 52" Turf TracerHP 17hp = 614lbs + me (180) + sulky (40lbs??) = 834lbs

That's only a 311 pound difference, and the ZTR has a 35% larger engine.

I guess what all this is leading up to is the question: Will a 17hp 52" WB have enough power with a sulky and me on it, even when mulching?

Thank you,

Joel B.
  2. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

the question is not if it will have enough power with a rider mulching is as much will it have enough power to mulch the type of grass you cut at the speed you want to cut at. the 17hp kawi is a twin engine and kaw motors have more torque than the kohler moters. Torque is what actually you are looking for.

To answer your question, yes the 17 on the TT will be enough if you don't cut 3-4" off your yards at a time running wide open when wet.

If you can afford the 3-4k differance for the price of the Lazer, then get the lazer. productivity will increase due to the higher cutting speed and bigger motor that allows to cut faster. Mulching will take some off the top speed of the mower to maintain a well groomed look.

both mowers will do the job very well. how much do you want to spend and with that extra cost comes higher productivity too.

If it was me and i had the money, i'd get the lazer. but I can deal with the TT also. :D

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Hello joel B
    Try this

Turf Tracer 52 Ultracut 23 kohler. Look it up On exmarks web
    Yours truly
    Johnny G.
  4. Joel B.

from MN

Thanks John,

Do you happen to know what that unit costs?

Joel B.
  5. John Gamba

from ct

I Got It For around 5700. It Will mow like The lazer eps That i Got with it. It Bows To nothing. If You have a lot Of hills, Low tress, Or just cant justify a rider it's The Mower for you. I will have Pictures Of It and of it discharging Leaves with bouble High Lifts. You Will be impressed.
  6. Mowov Erthis

Mowov Erthis LawnSite Member

If you divide your lbs by the hps you get about 50 lbs/hp on either mower, with you on it.

I have 2 WBs: 36 exmark (12.5 hp) and 52 scag (17 hp). Both have plenty of power. It is general maintenance and how you treat it that determines its performance and lifespan.
  7. Joel B.

from MN

Do you use a sulky with your TT? Stand or sit? Is it the kind that is attached like a trailer (that can jacknife) or a rigid mount?

Thank you,

Joel B.
  8. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

I come up with 26 percent horspower difference between the two moters. 23 horsepower- 26 percent = 17 horsepower. I might be doing this wrong. Anyhow, The hosepower to weight would be one of the most important thing to consider which is a 1 horse to 50 lbs for both.

Another thing to consider would be the hosepower to total cut ratio. this is where alot of mowers fall short. The tracer would have 1 horse per 3 inches of blade whereas the lazer would have 1 horse for every 2.25 inches of blades.The lazer in theary should cut better. what this means in the real world who knows .I would demo them both side by side in the same yard to see how they do.
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a new TTHP 17 Kawi 48" cut with the Exmark sitdown steerable sulky. The power seems ok but I think it could use a little more, maybe a 19 Kawi, IMHO.
  10. John Gamba

from ct

I Have Had a Lot Of walkbehineds In my Past. And since Ive Been With exmark It's been turf tracers. The sulkys Ive Had and liked Are Jungle jims, jungle Wheels They Keep The frount down On hills, They stripe Nice, I Can Fold Them out Of the way with One Hand( Keeping the blades on). But they Wear The Plate down You have To Have It welded Or get a new Plate.
    The other one i Have Which Is On My Only walk wright Now Is The pro slide. I Like How It retracts Out Of the way On hills and To Back up. I all so like How It rides Over almost any thing. It stripes Like No other to!. But It can Make the frount ride up On hills, it Not Made to ride down the street You will Wear The Plate down.
    I Was Thinking about Selling the TT But since I Played with it this fall I'm Going to Keep it. You Don't Get Many hours On the walks When theres Alot Of Lazers around. And The people That would call Either thought It was a rider OR where dreamers. Like I Said before I Will Take Pictures Today and post them for you tonight.