1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind power rakes

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by BLC1, Mar 20, 2010.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Has anybody used the walk behind power rakes? How do they work? Do they make a walk behind rockhound?

2. Benz2328

Benz2328 LawnSite Member

I have a bluebird power rake and it works great! After I thatch a lawn I go over it with my mower or if its a smaller yard I use a lawn vac. Customers like seeing the thatch rise to the top, they can see the before and after difference.
  3. greenScape09

greenScape09 LawnSite Member

yes, we use husqvarna commercial dt22 thatchers on any lawn, big or small. no the most efficient, but does the best job.
  4. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I just read my original post and realized I wrote that wrong. I was meaning a walk behind harley rake. Sorry.
  5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I plan to rent a Bluebird w. bag to powerake a customer's lawn. I don't like to powerrake/dethatch (personally think its waste of time compared to core aeration), but this customer insisted.

Do these rakes do a good job of picking up the thatch, or should I plan to take along my 21" w/ bagger?
  6. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

It will pickup up most of it but definitely take the 21" to clean up after you're done. It will look much better.

7. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

8. stratfordpropertycare

stratfordpropertycare LawnSite Member

Hi, I owned the one and only unit in Canada, used it a few times and it worked great on smaller lawns, did a fantastic job.
    I didn't't get a lot of work for it so it sat alot.
    Got a call from a sod company 100 miles away asking if I would do a demo for them as I had the only unit in Canada. Harley referred them off my warranty card.

I did the demo and they where very impressed with the machine and finish it left, as I was loading the machine the owner of the company asked if I would consider selling it as I didn't't do much with it.

In the end I got almost 2 grand more for it then what I had paid so I sold it...

Hope that helps...

PM me if you have any questions...

Was a well build machine...
  9. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

we use the bluebirds, they work great. Big lawns and small, be careful not to take it to dirt.
  10. JFGauvreau

JFGauvreau LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya I have the blue bird without the bag and it works amazing, I go in both direction; north-south and east-west for better results. If you have the one with the bag I'm sure it will save you trouble.

For me I just pass with a lawn tractor 42" with a dual bagger system in the back. I have a small toro 21" for places where my tractor can't go.

The tractor is so easy because I run it full speed, I raise up my blade so that i'm not even cutting the grass, just picking up the thatch.

And NO, its definitely not a waste of time. Core aeration DOES help to brake up the thatch, but if your customer has more than 1inch of thatch, it's definitely better to de-thatch it.