Walk behind problems please help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by STIHL GUY, Jun 25, 2008.

1. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i have a 48'' bobcat with a kawasaki kc420V 14 HP engine. I cut 2 lawns today no problem but when i got to the third it ran for about 5 minutes and started to make a wierd cycle noise as ifit were low on gas. The gas tank was well over half full. It started again but again cut out. I had to resort to the 21'' for the 3rd lawn. I emptied the gas bulb under the carb and tried to clean the very dusty air filter. It ran for about 15 minutes so i cut half of the 4th lawn and it cut out. I gave up for the day because it was already 9 PM. Tomorrow i am going to go buy a new air filter and gas filter. Any other suggestions? i need to mow 2 and a half lawns before saturday because i am going away. Thanks for the help.

2. CFB

CFB LawnSite Senior Member

fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel line, carb.

3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

fuel filter dirty? when was last time you changed? ya, also make sure air filter is clean, i clean mine weekly, change my fuel filter yearly.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Replace those filters, then just to be safe, get some Seafoam and run it into the carb and let it sit over night. Good stuff.

5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

might check the valves too. its fairly easy, there are 2-4 small bolts that hold the cover in place, just check the valves to make sure they aint gummed up.

6. STIHL GUY

from CT

thanks for the help

7. jharbin2007

jharbin2007 LawnSite Member

check the spark plug, i had that happen to my wb exmark!

8. STIHL GUY

from CT

i replaced the air and gas filters and it still doesnt work. ill check the spark plug next. any other suggestions?

9. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

the valves...

10. STIHL GUY

from CT

changed the spark plug too and it stopped running altogether so i brought it in to the shop. They said there was something wrong with the needle in the carb and it was running itself out of gas. It will be all set tomorrow but im leaving on saturday so i had to cut a new costomers lawn for the first cut with my 21''. It came out pretty nice tho. Thanks for all the responces and suggestions