1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind push blower vs backpack blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Jun 18, 2002.

Which blower do you prefer?

1. Walk Behind

3 vote(s)
  2. Backpack Blower

18 vote(s)
  3. Hand held blower

1 vote(s)
  4. Using your mower's blowing ability

0 vote(s)
  1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wanted to see how many of you prefer a walk behind blower such as a Billy Goat or Little Wonder over a backpack blower. This would be for everyday work and spring and fall clean ups. Also which walk behind unit is prefered; Little Wonder or Billy Goat? Any comments are appreciated.
  2. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Backpack blowers are getting so powerfull now that they are almost as strong as push blowers, but are lighter and easier to use (I think). The last few years we have been using our push blowers less and less, to the point that sometimes we don't even take them with us on leaf cleanups. We use them only on the largest lawns.
  3. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

My 44cc Echo = 5hp push. Sold push. Bought a Stihl 420 lighter

+ almost the power as my 8 hp Fradan. Hate pushing blower!
  4. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

ive got a 5 hp little wonder and a stihl br420- i much prefer the Stihl- its a lot lighter, more versatile and almost, if not more powerful than the little wonder
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Everyday use for blowing grass off of sidewalks and driveways......Backpack!

Fall leaf cleanups when your making 5' high piles of leaves the size of your livingroom......Push Blower....Little wonder 8hp and up! Used in conjunction with the backpack blower for beds and small areas.
  6. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

I wish my boss would buy a Stihl backpack blower..... today alone the blower would have paid for itself!!!!!!!

Let's just say

1. homelite's are not commercial grade

2. when a 3 man crew is waiting for the blower to get fixed when the boss takes your truck so he can fix the blower at home (where the tools for the fix are)......it adds up! Time is money, literally!

I am the crew leader and it just torques me off to no end!
  7. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

i just bought a homelite bp blower. i know i know, its not commercial grade, but i needed one and dont have the money for a kawasaki kbl400a. besides i dont have too many yards that i use a blower on, and even when i do its not for extended periods of time. little on the drive and maybe a sidewalk here and there.

i had to have one. i got tired of using the mower on drives and the push broom on the walks.
  8. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

Wow! I thought I had it bad!

A PUSH BROOM? That must have taken some time! Not to mention too much energy!!!!!!!

I have been working with the same LCo, and I've seen 3 homelites fall in the line of battle! (approximately the same cost as a quality unit)

I think your BP homelite will serve you fine Grass_Slayer... much better than a broom for sure!!!!!!!! Best of luck with that... hope you get years out of the blower!
  9. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

the last one i had was a ryobi handheld. bought it five years ago at lowes for $70. it has been in commercial service for three years, and it finally bit the dust this year. i think my homelite is a little better quality then that thing though.
  10. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

I own both a stihl br420 and some form of homelite backpack (dont even know if there smoe than 1) but as much as i love my stihl, the homelite has worked lik a gem and i still use it to clean off sidewalks and driveways, even tho i have the stihl. I normally only use the stihl in the fall for leaf cleanup