walk behind question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BOTURF, Nov 5, 2002.

1. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

I just got the new copy of grounds and it state in the back you could figure getting 100 hrs per horse rating on a gas engine , well that ,means my 17 horse kaw is about shot with 1600 hrs on it but it still seems to run very well and actually i have had no engine problems .So what do you guys think ? I was hoping to get about 2500 hrs out ofit before getting rid of it .

2. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

That has to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. I have a 3.5 horsepower poulan 20" with thousands of hours on it.

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I agree with DMK. I have an old lawnboy that probably 15 yrs. old at least. Theres no telling how many hours is on that old thing. Never been any work done to the mower.

4. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

the main thing here is MAINTANCE. I don't care if you have a 31hp diesel or a 3hp briggs, it aint going to last 500 hours without some regular maint.

Now whoever said take the hp x 100 will give you the life expectancy is full of it. i've seen several small engines with 1000's of hours on them. the key is if you maintain them well, i.e. oil change at reg intervals and clean air and fuel filter.

Scot

5. GrassMaster84

GrassMaster84 LawnSite Member

I agree with scotlawncare. You should definately be able to get 2500 hrs out a 17hp engine with the right maintenance and protection from the weather!!..

6. kenneth parsons

kenneth parsons LawnSite Member

I have a Lesco 52" Hydro with the 17 KAW. I had changed the oil regularly and performed daily filter maintenance. This spring the thing suddenly began knocking and the bottom end came off in the middle of a 4 acre job. It's a 97 model and only had 300 hours on it. Put a brand new 17 KAW on it and bought a 23/60 Laser 2 weeks later. I haven't put 2 hours on the Lesco since buying the laser. I wish I would've gotten 100 hrs per hp out of that engine. I think I'll sell the lesco!

7. Trav

Trav LawnSite Member

Ken, I was thinking about getting a lesco 48" wb hydro only 3300.00 should I steer clear of it? or do you think the new ones are built better? They look well made to me . Thanks for any help.
    Trav

8. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

do your regular maintenance and drive it til the wheels fall off.

9. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my old scag ztr got 1000 hrs before blowing up and covering me with oil it had oil change every 25 hrs i believe it was because there old design had the motor under the seat and it didnt cool properly because they changed that design soon after i bought it that was the last orange machine ill ever own

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

speaking of maintenance....how often do you guys change oil in the larger engines? I know what the book says but it seems too many hours between changes...mine is a 23 kaw