Walk behind recommendations wanted

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by forgop, Feb 26, 2003.

1. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

I'm looking to get into some light commercial lawn mowing in my neighborhood. Needless to say, I will just be using a JD riding mower with a 50" deck to pull a dump cart that will hold a walk behind, weedeater, gas can, etc. I'll be able to ride on my mower to 300+ houses quicker than if I were to go through the hassle of loading/unloading on a trailer pulled by a truck or something.
    The types of lawns I'd mow will vary, but most will be 1/4 to 1/2 acre in size. The walk-behind will be primarily used in lawns with a fence that doesn't allow my 50" deck through.

I'm hoping to get around a 32" deck or so for a walk-behind as reasonably priced as possible. I don't have thousands to spend. Any suggestions?

I'd be interested in web sites good for used equipment, particular models, anything you're willing to share.

Thank you.

2. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

First this is not commercial mowing.
    Are you saying you cut 300 houses???? Affraid not. Obviously you are younger. I am not being mean but you should maybe stick to the rider for now and just handle a few accounts. A commercial mower is a big step. You should when you do get into cutting big time get a walkbehind first and go from there. There are lots of different manufactures but "Nothing Runs Like a Deere". Of course you should already know that!

3. forgop

forgop LawnSite Member

Sorry, should have made it clear...there are 300+ houses available...I only want 15 or so.

4. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Any new 32" machine is going to be over 2K. You should look into maybe buying used. Either that or get buy with what you have till you save up enough. Mowers can be expensive. I have spent over 9K on them. :cool:

5. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

For one or all? If for all I wish I could say the same. The cheapest ZTR I have ever bought was for $6,682 and the most was $10,200. Yes paponte mowers can be and are very expensive.

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Heh, yes for only one. Diesel baby!! :blob2: