1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind Recommendations

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BigTwoHearted, May 5, 2003.

1. BigTwoHearted

BigTwoHearted LawnSite Member
    from VA (z7)

The time has come to replace my overworked and oft abused JD rider. A walk behind with a sulky just seems to make sense to me. From what I've read in the posts, Gravely, Hustler, Exmark, Scag, and Lesco seem to be the big 5. I know nothing about the aforementioned, and the closest thing to me resembling a serious dealership sells Deere. The only thing I am sold on is Kawasaki engines: this is a must-have for me, as I could not kill the last one I had, no matter how I tried. Anyone care to offer an opinion as to the best choice in a walk behind for heavy duty residential and occasional weekend commerical use?

Many thanks,

2. All you need is like below.

3. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I am a Scag person myself, but if I was going to buy another walk-behind it would probably be the exmark. But I don't use walkbehinds that much anymore.
  4. Hustler or exmark
  5. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler all the way

mowin sideways.jpg
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I like Red...Exmark Red :D
  7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

hustler all the way. best in ergonomics and simplicity. built like a tank.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

turf tracer 2 resized.jpg
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Don't just check out the mower although that is very important but also check out the dealership to see what kind of service you will get after the sale. Parts and service are important unless you fix everything yourself. See if they will offer a loaner while your machine is in the shop. Make sure to demo each machine you are serious about on your properties.

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

So that's why your nickname is Scag48? LOL