1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind replacement engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ksland, Apr 16, 2003.

1. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

My older model Scag 48" fixed deck hydro seems a bit short on power with the 14 kawi it has. Seems newer mowers are going with more hp. What is a good replacement engine? It has an electric clutch so it would have to have an alternator. I was thinking something like a 17. Maybe a twin? Just looking for a close to direct swap without having to do too many mods.

2. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2002 17/48 scag,if I keep it long enough to replace engine,it will be bigger than 17,BIG torque diff. between 17 and 19.;)

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats because the 17 is the same displacement as the 15 and the 19 is the same displacement as the 21, 23, and maybe 25.

4. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Kohler has a 18hp motor that is very nice and matches the bolt pattern. A very large lawn company ( they do mostly gov't contracts and only LARGE commercial sites) switched their equipment line from SCAG to Great Dane. They were virtually giving the Scaggs away at $500.00/per. I purchased two 48 belt drives, consolidated into one and set the 18 on it. It almost sucks the grass out by its roots. Even on this older machine the quality of cut is superior to my other Scags and the only reason I can see is that it is now over powered and never bogs down in the turf. One of the 48's came with a nearly new 14 Kawi that I'll be swapping to my 32" Scag this weekend and I purchased a spare 18 to put on my 36.