walk behind rollover

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walk behind, Mar 29, 2004.

1. walk behind

walk behind LawnSite Member

We are getting a 52" exmark walkbehind with a 17 hp Kaw engine and jungle wheel velke. My husband tested one out last week and was coming up a slope (verticle) and the thing popped a wheely. So my question is, do we need to just do all slopes horizontally? and is there any chance it could tip over at all?

we are novices to the commercial walk behinds.

2. X-mow

X-mow LawnSite Member

I'm always doin' wheelies with my walk-behind there is really no chance of it flipping over . Horizontal is best ,but if you accelerate a little slower going vertically and/or put a little pressure back against the drive torque you can usually stop the wheelie problem.

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

The manufactures recommend using front weights with sulkys to help keep the front down. The sulky puts alot of weight on the rear of the machine. It generally won't raise up if you are walking behind it.

4. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Nasty hills I usually get off the velke and walk. Safer and less tendancy for tire slippage to tear up turf. Marc

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

1. You never use a sulky on hills and slopes.
    2. You always work slopes horizontally.
    3. You ALWAYS start at the bottom of a slope and work your way up.

6. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

after using it for awhile you will know where you can mow on hills and places not to even try. we have a 52" turf tracer that we have had on some at least 70 degree banks mowing both vertical and horizontal. we did roll it once on a very steep bank but it fired right up after placing right side up. our guys have taken our lazers z's on some very steep banks as well. you just get to know what your equipment can and can not do the more you use it.

7. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Well said Runner. I try to keep the cutting edge side at the top, it should scalp less and there is less of a chance of throwing an object up and at a car, etc.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There is nothing wrong with taking a little extra time on applications like that, either. Actually, that is using very good sense. All it takes is one time, it's over in an instant, and someone else's AND your life can be affected for the remainder of it (them). Good thinking.....

9. amar

amar LawnSite Member

I had a friend back in the day who was using a Bobcat 48" belt drive. He was running down a hill, he hit a stump and it flipped blades still spinning. He was luckey to walk away from that one.

10. Rook00

Rook00 LawnSite Member

Sounds like my owner's manual...

My advice is to become familiar with what you can do with your machine without putting yourself in danger. I agree, however, that you shouldn't mow straight up a steep slope. To track nice, though, you shouldn't go the same direction every time, so take the slope at a 45 degree angle.