Walk behind skid steer

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CT18fireman, Jan 27, 2001.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone seen these? I think they are made by Toro. I saw one the other day as I was driving down the road. Could not stop to take a closer look. Seems like it may be the perfect thing for small jobs and tight areas.

2. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

I have seen them, and I'm sure they'll be on display at our CGKA show at the Hartford Civic center on Feb. 28. Last year we tried a FINN, and this year at my shop when we have an open house in March, I will be trying out a Kanga with several attachments. I want to have one available for rental. They are handy for smaller jobs, digging post holes, moving 1"-2" trees, etc. A little jerky at first, but like anything else, once you get used to them, they are ok. I haven't really seen the need to buy one yet though.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

These have been around for a while now, and a ton of comapanies are trying to cash in on them. From what I heard they're a great little tool. I don't think they take the place of a skid steer, but they may go places the skids can't; which would be more productive than a shovel and wheel barrow!

If you search the threads in the lawn care forum, you'll come up with a huge list of free magazines for people in our industry. You'll probobly find 30 ads in each one for a mini-skid and probobly some good articles too.

Hope this Helps!

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

These units are very handy in irrigation installations. They seem to have the best of both worlds available (ditch witch/skidsteer). When I was in NC this past season I saw most Irrigation Contractors had one with them at their disposal on the job sites. I heard rumor the Toro Sitework System was going for around $32k.

Hope this helps,
    kris

5. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We priced the Toro last summer and it was priced in the low 30's. That was a gas Dingo, Trailer, small bucket, forks, trencher, Auger, bits, and the materials bucket. We will buy one here in the near future. They are a handy little piece of equipment. Look at the lease options that they offer as well.

6. eskals

eskals LawnSite Member

I know that Steveair has one. You might want to talk with him about these machines. I am sure he can tell his experiences with it.

Eric

7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Sorry guys, For 30K I can get a full size skid loader with bucket and forks plus auger and bits. It will lift more and dig all day with out breakdowns or over heating and do it faster. If the price was 1/3 of that then I might look at them.

8. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

I agree with Paul. For $30k you can get a real skid steer with plenty of attachments. Granted it can't go where a mini can but the Dingo is way overpriced. I have been trying to get in touch with an acquaintance of mine that purchased a Ramrod last year to get his opinion of it. Toro is real proud of their mini. Does anyone use any of the articulated tractors? They seem to be much more reasonably priced.

Matt

9. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I agree that is too much for a new one. My skidsteer was less. I would rent one for certain jobs they have advantages. When they start appearing used I will look into one.

10. FIREMAN

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

I used a ramrod as a rental for a limited access job...my opinions after a week of use are:

1) great for lifting plant material...8-10 ft white pines..no problem(faster than a ball cart)
    2) lift....stronger than you'd think(but they do tip forward easily if loaded a bit heavy)
    3) operation....very jerky...(this model had 2 speed ranges slow was too slow and fast was too jerky, also when in slow range attachment operation was impossible)
    4) back hoe attachment....shoddy at best , operating controls were very sloppy and unit is too heavy for the machine to move around well, also power was less than impressive...
    5)material handling....buckets too small to move adequate amounts of materials and forget loading a truck(could not load an f-250 with an ez-dump, had to load from both sides and rear just to get a level load)
    6) auger....very awquard...bits were too long and difficult to load into head
    7) tiller..this was the best use for this machine in my expierince...very wide 40"(I think) and extrememly powerful..works best in reverse and will penetrate ground about 8-12 inches...will chew and spit rocks, use caution near fragile objects...
    8) kidney vibration....hope there is a restroom nearby...these things will shake you to tears....also terrible numbing of the fingers operating the levers and you'll have to pry your other hand off of the hold-on bar ...
    9)weight...machine is too light to grade anything, you can't scrape up anything...

ONE LAST WORD OF CAUTION FOR THE RAMRODS AT LEAST....THE FOOT TRAY WHICH YOU STAND ON COULD CRUSH YOUR TOES IF YOU STOP SHORT BACKING UP(THE MACHINE WILL REAR-UP LIKE A HORSE AND YOUR NATURAL REACTION WILL BE TO STEP BACK OFF OF THE PLATFORM , THE PLATFORM IS PRETTY LOW TO THE GROUND AND ALMOST GOT ME A COUPLE OF TIMES....WEAR STEEL TOED BOOTS..AND HOPE FOR SOFT GROUND..