walk-behind slides/ problem with

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kmeforou, Jan 22, 2004.

1. kmeforou

kmeforou LawnSite Member

I see that a lot of people like these alot. I had one and sold it for about half of what I paid for it. I had a problem with my Toro's front wheels comming off the ground when I started up a slight slope. This was on the 37 walk-behind. I was weighing arround 225 at that time. Was there something I was doing wrong? I am planning on purchasing a two-wheel velki, unless the slide will do . I do not know if weights were supposed to be with unit or they were designed strictly for lighter people. Any feedback you can give me will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

the 36 i have always pops up going up-hill, there just isnt enough wieght to keep them down, the only way i solved was to go side to side instead of vertically in the hills

3. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

first of all your walk behind is not big enough for a sulky. our 48" exmark front comes up when going up a hill. I really don't think any kind of sulky will work with that mower. especialy going up hills.

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

2 wheeled velkie works great for me.

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Any suggestions on adding weight to the front end of the wb to keep it down?

6. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Any suggestions on adding weight to the front end of the wb to keep it down?

Find some way to weld some aerator weights to the front of it

7. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the weight kit from Exmark on both of my 48" TTHP's. It really helps to keep the front end down. I am currently running a Proslide. The only problem I have found so far is, you really can't back up with a slide, but I'm starting to adjust to that. Good luck.

8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 36" Toro with a two wheel Velke. I have never had any problems with the front coming of the ground.

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a suggestion for adding weight to the front end to keep it down. Its a 35lb piece of lead on a flat bar. it really helps. BTW I do have a Pro-Slide attatched to this unit and it works great.

mar03 208.jpg

10. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I would never give up the ability to back up/agility of the two wheeled kind. Never. On and off the trailer in 5 seconds, back up full speed whenever needed, love the way if follows the mower, man....just too many good things to ever think of using something else.