Walk behind speed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, Jul 9, 2008.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Is there any company out there that makes a fast commercial walkbehind. I love my ferris 52 dd, and if It went 8-10 mphs I would get rid of my ztr. I hate sitting all day, especially when I sit in the truck from job to job. If a company would make fast walkbehinds I'd have an all walkbehind line up. 36" 52", and maybe a 60". Anyone else wish they made walkbehinds faster?
  2. Chitown King

Chitown King LawnSite Member

Wouldn't you get tired walking at 10 mph all day? That is faster than a lot of people run. Don't think you can keep up that pace for too long.
  3. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I am assuming that you would put a proslide or sulky on it. But that would be the same thing as the stand-on mowers now. So really there would be no need for a faster walk-behind.
  4. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a proslide, I imagine most people use a sulky of somer sort when using a walkbehind, and ou would think the manufaturers would understand this. I also like the fact that with walkbehinds you can mow under trees and save time on trimming vrs. a ztr or stander.
  5. jrsmower

jrsmower LawnSite Member

with our toro 60's with 28 hp kawa's we only did about 7-8mph in yards... Anything more and if the yard ain't smooth you'll bump around all over and leave stuff..

I can go wide open (6.2) with my WB and mow WAY better then wide open (10) with the toro... I don't see any mower mowing stuff at 12+ mph and leaving a clean cut... Maybe with super sharp blades and if the blades rotated at like 30,000 ft/min lol
  6. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

yea..I wish my exmark's went faster too. But not really while mowing, just on the darn pavement. I think mowing @ over 6mph for a WB is moving pretty good. I just can't see how guys do it without a sulky...I couldn't stand walking at a brisk 2-3 mph all day long...I would lose lots of money too!!!
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I used to be all about speed but with age I just got to the point one day, 4th gear is fast enough for me :p

Now I do agree that the WB is highly productive and very efficient in most yards under an acre, my Ztr doesn't really justify the higher cost of operations until we get into the big wide open lots, I still run my Wb a lot more than the Z and probably always will.

But the real problem with speed is sudden or hidden but solid obstacles, a decent Wb can do 6-7 mph's but I know for a fact WHEN that skirt clips say a hidden tree stump it's a no-holds barred trip over the bars and into the engine and the spinning spindles and all that mess... That's when all goes well, when things don't go so nice then it can be very painful, but regardless of how it goes I found it was always big time scary.

And Operator presence safety switches and all that horse crap don't stop the pieces and parts fast enough, all depends how the body flies it can get awful tricky to figure out where to put a hand to brace oneself from getting too close to the still-spinning blades.

So it's a fun ride at them high speeds, but one serious burn and some cracked ribs and several other rather painful moments slowed me down good lol... Can't say I'd stop anyone either, I did that stuff for several years myself and there's no laws against it, just not something I'd recommend thou I will say it IS usually very productive lmao
  8. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Hidden tree stumps?...

I know my accounts by now, and won't be mowing anything but grass....fast too.

I doubt you would fly over the handle bars...you just nail the handles... I hit a fire hydrant mowing in probably 5th gear..trying to lite a cig on a commercial...and that's what happend to me...no flying of anysort.
  9. Impressions Landscaping

Impressions Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a Toro T-Bar set up, to me it flies compared to my Scags, but I've smashed my ribs a few times on it to know enough to slow down. I know my accounts very well but when you pick up new ones sometimes you forget the first few cuts where stuff is. I wouldn't mind a speed up kit like Walker offers just for moving down the road on the pavement, but speeding up on grass is just to bouncy to control or make a good cut.
  10. MnGreen

MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Ferris 52" DD WB with a velky and I think the thing flies on a open good surface.
    Can't imagine needing anymore speed in those open areas, and certainly not walking it.