Walk behind spray boom

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hogjaw, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone use these for larger areas, especially the Locke brand?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I use the CL green gun--wave my arm to make a 7 foot swath. Can also do narrow areas down to about 2 feet wide--but overfert and burn is a possibility in narrow areas.

3. Hogjaw

Yeah, I've done all of the waving I plan to do is the reason I posted the note!

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I think those wands are a waste. Two lawn outfits used to use them here, but they don't now. We use TeeJet lawn guns or else ride-ons.

5. Hogjaw

What kind of ride on do you use? (PG)

6. americanlawn

from midwest

Hi Hogjaw --- cool name (Razorback?). We run 3 spreader-sprayers. One is a LESCO zero-turn, and the other two are Permagreen Ultras (probably 2004 models). We tweked the Ultras so they put out more spray.

Hey -- I'm going to the "straw poll" next week in Ames, Iowa. I'm voting for Mike Huckabee (Arkansas).

7. Hogjaw

Thanks for your response!

On the Lesco, did you have to increase nozzle tip size or is factory equip satisfactory?

For years we used the Toro Z-Trak with 20 gal tank mounted on rear and a front mount 10' boom and 8002. Very seldom did we get any call backs. Thinking about going back to the boom and using the 200 gal Lesco space saver for small areas and a nurse.

Again, thanks.

8. americanlawn

from midwest

Hey dude -- Our "round 4" (early fall) is a liquid weed & feed. We can cover much square footage very fast by pulling the hose out. One pass, and that's it (weed & feed). Actually, it's faster than any ride-on. Seems you are doing the right thing though. As far as our LESCO Z-two sprayer/spreader goes...it kills every weed in it's path by using the original equipment. Spreads nice too.:usflag:

I have many relatives in Fort Smith. Go Razorbacks!

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Hogjaw,

If you are running a boom, you may want to look at using AI flat fan tips. They are great as you will get a bigger droplet and reduce drift.

Not many people are running them in turf yet...but I was at a turf meeting and Tee Jet says they are the up and coming for turf. I have been using them for three years now and love them.

I use them on my turf boom sprayer.