walk behind string trimmer line?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hsvhobbit, Aug 26, 2005.

1. hsvhobbit

hsvhobbit LawnSite Member

Hi, I've got a question on a walk behind string trimmer I just bought. Out behind my barn I've got basically a jungle. To help with this along the fence lines I bought a Gravely walk behind string trimmer.

My initial experience wasn't that great, I went through 4 sets of .150 string in about 1/2 hour of cutting. Went out and bought the only line that Tractor Supply had near that size, some Swisher .155 square line.

This cuts and lasts FAR better than the factory round, soft stuff but I'm wondering if there's something even better than the Swisher stuff. It's kinda pricey at $12 for 36 pieces. (18" long)

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd appreciate it becuase I've still got alot of trimming to do. :cry:
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is anything special about this line?? Or is it just regular thick line cut into pieces? If that's the case, I would just got buy a spool and cut it myself.
    ncpete likes this.
  3. hsvhobbit

Nothing special as far as I can tell. It's just square line that's very thick. My problem is that I don't know a good souce of bulk line, nor if there's even better stuff out there.
  4. lb59

lb59 LawnSite Member

You need a fence hog
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

You can get .155 round or square here http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/257.htm
    If your having good luck with the square line thats what I'd stick with so not to have a whole roll of not as good line.
  6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

"It's kinda pricey at $12 for 36 pieces. (18" long)"

The web site list it for $26.62 for 450 feet so if my math is right that works out to $3.20 for 36 (18" long) so even after you pay S&H you have save a ton. At the shop we never buy it in packs but the buck rolls. From time to time we have people come in just waiting to buy 5 or 10 feet at a time. They do make saw blades for some models of them thing but a 14-16 inch saw of death just scares me a little bit.
  7. hsvhobbit

HUMMMM, thanks for the link Fixer. That should save me a ton of money.

I've sorta played around with the sawblade options though the Gravely/Ariens doesn't show one as an option. The terrain I'm working over though has a LOT of rocks and even the occasional handful of discarded wire. The thought of a 6HP unguarded sawblade being hooked and tossed around at about ankle height is sorta sobering. I think for my purposes I'll stay with the string and just replace as needed. I have a small Stihl chainsaw for the thicker weed/brush.

I AM hugely puzzled though, the Swisher line I bought has a small sponge that they want you to keep wet, in the bottom of the package...I've never heard of keeping plastic line wet before. Can anyone enlighten me as to what's going on there? Is this something I should do for all this heavy weight line?
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I am not sure exactly how it works but keeping the line wet before using it helps it last longer. There are ALOT of posts containing this information. But you have to keep it wet for at least like 24 hours before using, not just a quick dip in a pool of water will work! Just my 2 cents, i hope it helps!