1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind suggestions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by watatrp, Mar 27, 2001.

1. watatrp

watatrp LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine passed away last summer. I took care of his lawn last summer. This year, his widow and two boys, ages 10 & 12 want to do the lawn themselves. I've told them that I will buy them a new walk behind mower. I'm looking for a self propelled with electric start, mulcher w/ option for bagger. Their old one is a push and really hard to start. I'm kind of partial to Toro and Lawnboy. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Anyone seen the new Lawnboy with the 4 cycle engine and one speed? Also, has anyone had any luck with purchases over the internet? My local dealer won't deal with price (is that an oxymoron?)
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have a honda 21" that was bought in the early 80's. Still cranks on the first pull and runs great. I vote honda.
  3. AllSeasonsAllReasons

AllSeasonsAllReasons LawnSite Member

The Toro personal pace gets my vote! For a home owner of course!
  4. corycc

corycc LawnSite Member

Definetly go with the Toro personal pace. Great machine. Mulches anything.
  5. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

All of the above are good units. I'd take the Honda over the Toro though. Go with the unit thats priced the best because repair service won't be an issue. Russ
  6. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I use Ariens, and love them. They have all thoes features you listed if you want them. They last long and cut great. Check them out.
  7. BufalinoLand

BufalinoLand LawnSite Senior Member

Hands down HONDA!!!!!! I run 2 HRM215 Poly deck, I was a little weary but my dealer was out of the metal decks and i needed some asap. Ive given them both all they can handle and they are still in one piece and both start on first pull
  8. JOshua Gallerick

JOshua Gallerick LawnSite Member

Greg I totally agree with you on the 21 ariens. I have two of them and we have put them through hell in back since 1994 and the only thing I have had to change or replace besides the oil and plugs are the pull cord and the rubber rear tire covers other than that they are still running like new.
  9. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

We just bought a Toro Personal Pace Recycler, (yes, we didn't buy commercial) we haven't had a chance to crank it up yet because of rain, but I'm definitely not complaining! :) I hope it works as well as most people say Toro does, it seems to be very well designed and it came ready to discharge, bag, or mulch right out of the box. Man, we've got so much rain today, we'll really be mowin' 'fore long!