walk behind suggestions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawncare, Feb 26, 2005.

1. luckylawncare

luckylawncare LawnSite Member

our primary rider is a 54" jd ztr... needing to upgrade our walk behind. any suggestions for a midsize manuererable walk behind...

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a lot of good walks out there. I'm partial to eXmarks, but it's not the only brand on the market.

Just out of curiosity, how do you feel about the dealer you bought the Deere Z from? If you really like their service, maybe you should get something from their inventory. If there are other dealers in the area who have a good reputation for service after the sale, your options are more open.

Sorry about dragging out the old saw about buying from a good dealer, but unless that dealer sells only junk equipment, it really is a huge consideration.

3. luckylawncare

thanks for the advice. i got a great deal on the jd from a dealer in cabot, ar. we'de like to buy from them again, but i'm not sold on the jd walkbehinds even though we love our ztr. we may end up with the deere b/c of the convienence of the dealer and the great service - that means a lot!

4. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

I was at a JD dealer looking at walk behind the other day, and didn't think they looked too bad. I also noticed, with the exception of the 36", that they only seem to make floting decks, which is a nice feature in my opinion. Since you seem happy with your current Deere and the dealer, you may want to consider a JD walk behind from that dealer.

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the eXmark turf tracer hp is a pretty good choice.

6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Same decks on JD walkbehinds as on the ZTRs. You would get the same cut. That's the way I would go.

7. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Give a look at the SCAG SWZ

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

JD has two new w/b models. From the pictures and specs, they look like a total makeover from what was offered previously. I think the comment about the same deck is true, when comparing the new w/b with the ZTR or stand-on models. You may be selling JD short, if you are looking at the older models. I have no experience with JD w/b but have never been impressed. But, I may take another look at the new ones.

9. luckylawncare

i didn't realize the wb decks were the same as the ztr... i'll have to do a little hands-on research and confirm that. but, if it turns out to be true, that'll probably be the deciding factor. thanks for all the help!

10. sparcolawn

sparcolawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

in my oppinion exmark is the way ahead of the game right now for many reasons, their new ecs system really is what they make it out to be, easier on the muscles and you wont hit your hands so much on branches or walls, the tires are bigger meaning less spinning and less effort pushing up hills or sliding down hills. like i said just my opinion but take a look at everything, i recommend demoing, why not its free