1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Walk behind tiller???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Bigred350, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

Im looking for a walk behind rear tined tiller. We seem to wear out troy builts about every other year. What brands do you guys run.

2. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Honda. Like all Honda machines the price is steep, but you get what you pay for. BCS makes a great unit also, and has many other attachments......

3. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Im dreaming about one of those BCS walk behind tractors.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, those things are sweat. I especially like all the attachments for it. I don't know if you can get it here, but in Europe they make a small hay bailer for it.

The only "new" specific walk behind tiller I would buy is a Simplicity. They're built almost as good as the old Ariens, or old Troy Built Horse tiller.

It's amazing how cheap MTD makes all their power equipment these days. I especially love how they use just the paddles and no metal auger for their small snow blowers, needless to say, worthless even in a 2 inch snow.

5. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

I ran a BCS all day yesterday. I have a smaller one (called a 210) and the larger one we call the "mama" (I can't remember the number). I don't like to use the mama unless I can turn around outside of work area (ie run past job to turn around).

After working with the BCS I walked away thinking how great a rototiller it is. I ran the thing all day and it was easy on the back and never seemed to come under a load. Tines are easy to replace. I like it better then the Old Troy and Ariens (Didn't Troy buy Ariens?).

I don't have any of the attachments. My owners manual shows a little cart I could attach and ride around on back.

6. Mule100

Mule100 LawnSite Member

Check out the Barretto unit. It is pricey but a beast.

7. ViceNut

ViceNut LawnSite Member

big jobs - T190 + harley rake
    small jobs - mantis tiller <-------things a little beast

8. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I rented a Baretto last week since my Troy-Bilt horse had a busted right tine shaft which can be fixed. All I can say is it is fine for occasional use but I do heavy tilling in the Spring along with Aerations and all the rest.

The Baretto is a beast and I'm glad I rented one before I bought one. I like the hydlic contrrols and a few other features but I really prefer the old stlye Troy-Bilt horse models. Just better balance and way less weight - waaay easier to handle over all.

If all I had to till with was a heavy brute Baretto I'd quit offering this as service ASAP.

9. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Honda. Too bad they only offer one reartine tiller now, the frc800 and it's a big unit! I have an frc600 which was discontinued two years ago- it's the perfect sized tiller for the majority of my landscape jobs. I had my dealer track a new one down last year!! The older "counter-rotating tine" fr750s were awesome tillers.

You can't go wrong with a Honda tilller. I would love to try the BCS. Saw the Baretto at the show last week and it's awesome.