Walk Behind Very hard To move when not running?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by vaulta, Feb 27, 2007.

1. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Was wondering if this just was a weight issue. I just bought a 1999 48" hydro used and I cant not push the thing forward or backward on a hard surface. I mean it moves a liitle bit but it almost sounds like its in a gear, sort of catches when i can move it just a little bit, when i try too move the thing in my garage when the mower is off. I have the break off on it, it just feels very hard too move in my garage when the mower is off. I can only push it a few inches and it feels like it is grabing.is this normal...thanx for any help

2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

A hydro has to be running for it to move unless you unlock the pumps. Only a belt drive can move without being on.

3. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

Is all right if I move the mower out of my van backwards on metal ramps while it is off.thanx alot

4. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont think its good for those pumps to try and muscle them around when the pumps are engaged. What kind of WB is it?

5. vaulta

vaulta LawnSite Member
    from Orlando

It is a 99 Lesco 48". so should i have the mower on when pulling it backwards out of my van on my ramps too the ground. Does the mower just need too be on or engaged and moving for me too oull it out of my van.Thanx alot

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

it needs to be running...

7. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

I know on my hydro there is a value you need to open on both the rider and the WB for it to move, once that's open they move, but still heavy

Cheers
    Jeff

8. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

You kind of have to have it on. You can wear out the pumps backing it up slowly down the ramps. You can hear that humming. Its not good for the mower.

It just needs to be on and the pull the handles all the way up so you go in reverse. I wouldnt move the lever over any. If that mower gets away from you while its on the ramp it might end up in your front seat.

9. biggin69

biggin69 LawnSite Member

My ZTR is the same, so I assume that a hydro WB would have the release although i think they are designed for a last resort to move the equipment if you cannot get it started.

10. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

It says in the manual for my Ztr Hydro, that it needs to be running or the Pumps need to be disengaged. Why do you try to move it when it's not running anyway?