1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk-behind Vs. ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by louisianalawncare, Jan 25, 2005.

1. louisianalawncare

louisianalawncare LawnSite Member

I have recently changed my mind from buying a ZTR to a walk-behind ( it is what I want to afford not what I can afford ) only need one mower now --ZTR later---

Has anyone gone through this and what was the outcome.

The rig in question is SCAG 36" WB from Gautreaux's Lawn and Garden in Gonzales LA "like the plug Shane :waving: " this one will fit my needs and groth for this season.

So what do you guys like or not about walk-behinds
  2. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

I started with a 52" wb/bd. A belt drive definitely requires more help in turns, but even if the mower you are looking at is a belt drive, being smaller it should not be as bad. I have read that a hydro is much easier to use, so if available I would suggest you demo both and decide.
  3. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

I was in the same spot you were when I first started out, I didn't have alot of money and I went with a John Deere 48" walk behind belt, It was a good mower nothing wrong with it I liked it alot, I then upgraded to a scag 48" WB Hydro, I loved it alot, Took a little getting used to but defiantly worth the money. Before last mowing season I just bought my first ZTR Got a Dixie Chopper and Loved it. I still have the scag don't use it to much except on a couple of accounts that are near water. You will Like your scag those 36" mowers are nice machines great for starting I wish that is what I did, Because once you grow you still have use for it in tight areas and yards with fences. Good Luck!