walk behind walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by plc2005, Mar 21, 2008.

1. plc2005

plc2005 LawnSite Member

Anyone have one of those new walk behind walker mowers? I've never owned a walk behind unit but I need one to get on the smaller lawns. I have several walker zero turn mowers, and I'm happy with the job they do, so I was thinking of sticking with that brand. Any info would be appreciated.

2. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

I would not recommend their walk behind. They make a great product but the walk behind is awkward to control with it's push button speed control. Plus you have to use walker's proprietary sulky instead of a regular velke.

3. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

well the one good thing is that all the decks are interchangable! I'm sure there are other good points to. Ask your dealer to demo one, won't hurt. Then ask toro or someone else to bring theirs out to demo.

4. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Been using one for 3 years now and they are really simple units to operate and can be transported with the deck up

5. grassaholic

grassaholic LawnSite Senior Member

I added one to my trailer last year. I did because I can tilt the deck up to transport it. Takes up less room on my trailer. The only thing I use it for is mowing steep hills. The mower is terrible on hills if you use the sulky with the full floating deck. Walker sells a kit that puts a kick stand where the tail wheel/sulky is and ads a steel bar to connect the deck frame to the frame the motor sits on. If you add this kit to the Walk behind it will hold a hill better than any walk behind you've ever used. I run mine with a 48" SD deck and the thing is very lightweight with some big drive tires. It seems to be a great combo for steep hills. As far as the forward speed control switch being akward, to each his own. I like the switch. It's right next to your thumb so you don't have to take your hands off the controls to adjust your speed. It's definatly different but not a bad thing in my opinion.

6. Zooropa93

We have yet to keep one out for more than 2 weeks without it being returned for another mower. The most recent one that came back was exchanged for an MB.

7. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

The thing is if you want a real walkbehind you by a SCAG! The walker is used by one of our people with hands too small for regular grips/saftey locks so we put him on the Walker and he is just fine and very productive on a residential run.

ZooRoopa--you are a dealer and yet your fisrt 4 words were "I would not recommend""....if you can't stand behind your product why sell it at all???????????

8. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking of getting one just because of the interchangable decks and then i heard the price lol but they look way cool id love to have one i just dont know about the price i guess you got to look at the price of the unit and then another deck for your walker then it might work? Can the ghs deck work as a rear discharge for it because if it could that would be a huge deciding factor i hate side discharge.

9. Lawdog302

Lawdog302 LawnSite Member

You can only use side discharge decks.

10. Zooropa93

I love walker mowers but the MW just isn't as good of a mower as the rest of their products in my opinion. We do very very little with that model.