Walk-behind Wars: 48 versus 52 versus 60

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mark McC, May 1, 2004.

1. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Preamble Part 1: Sorry if everyone has hashed this out before.

Preamble Part 2: Some of the differences I already know: Access to some places with narrow gates, lumpy lawns/deck size and so on.

What kind of differences has everyone experienced between 48", 52" and 60" walk-behinds in terms of:

propensity to accidents
    anything else anyone thinks of
  2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I have never used a wb bigger than 44".
  3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Well one thing to expect with bigger, bigger yet, and biggest machines, is that, when you go up in size, productivity increases, but so does maintenance. Basically a given.
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Depends if you are getting full float or fixed deck. 60" is to large for fixed, and what a full float costs you could own a rider. A 52" float is excellecnt. 52" fixed is might scalp. Since most walkbehinds are designed to use the same frame from 32" to 60". So the tires are not as far apart as say a wright stander or a ferris hydrowalk dd. A fix deck 48" is perfect. The deck doesn't hang as far over the tires as a 52". A full float deck or a 36 for that matter is a waste, since anti scalp wheels are very close to the main wheels if it has any at all. The larger the deck the more weight there is and more chance of cracking in the deck frame. You can't get into as many places as you can with a larger deck. Also you need to decide if you go hydro or belt. Since most belts aren't over 52". If i was looking at hydro would also look at the standers. Since they are smaller than walkbehinds, which makes them easyer to run on smaller yards. Plus they can keep up with larger midmounts on large properties. Plus the price isn't that much of a difference.
  5. Mark McC

Interesting comments there, Itsgotta. I'm thinking wb principally because the lawn I just got that has me thinking upgrade in the first place has some slopes I wouldn't want to put a stander or zero on. Regarding float versus fixed...let's just say that given what I've been through with my exmark metro 36, any more wb hardware I buy will have a floating deck and hydro drives or I just won't bother at all.

I also agree with your comment about the price difference between a 52 wb and a zero. Kinda odd that they should be that close.
  6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

How steep are we taking. 45 degrees is not a problem. I have done it. With my stander. Shame i lost the account to a scab with a craftsmas lawn tractor and a push mower. Or i would get some pictures.
  7. Mark McC

Honestly, I find claims of 45-degree angles a bit of a stretch for anything but a 21" or a weedwhacker. That's a slope that would go ten feet down for each ten feet across. Doesn't seem plausible to me that a Stander could handle that without tipping over.
  8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Killer combo, 60" Turf Tracer And a 48" Turf Tracer HP.

9. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I am with you Mark McC
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know about a 45 degree slope, but the standers can (WITHPRACTICE) take on some pretty steep angles. You are the primary consideration in doing so. Perhaps I could do 25 degrees, but a guy I used to work with could easily do 30 and 35 degrees. I would try the next week and forget it. Something to do with momentum and pivoting your weight and lack of fear. I never quite got there.