Walk behind with stand-on sulky on hills?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by VTFly, Dec 30, 2006.

1. VTFly

VTFly LawnSite Member

I have about an acre of lawn that has a large, 15 degree sloped area. Am thinking hard about buying a Quick 36 with stand-on sulky. A commercial Toro 36 inch gear drive is my #2 option. I have a number of trees that I have to mow around and under. The lawn is also not perfectly smooth- it was never leveled so there are some bumps in it.

Will a stand-on sulky work on a 15 degree slope? How about going up and down the slope with it? Is there a difference between the Toro sulky and the Quick 36 sulky in terms of durability?

Thanks!
    :)

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about going up and down a hill while pulling yourself... And if you go across the hill the Quick is single hydro and so you will need to put some muscle into it to keep it straight. I would go with the Toro.

3. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

I would suggest a used mower with dual hydro that will serve you better on hills. as far as the sulky it may work on a hillside not totaly sure. The belt drive would probly work on the hillside but may slip some. As said above the quick 36 is a single hydro. Try calling them and seeing if they can tell you with a picture. Good luck

4. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I have a quick 36 super duty dont get me wrong its a great mower but for hills
    A. You would need to put mussel into it going side to side or
    B. Go straight up and straight down

If you can go straight up and straight down great but if now the Toro would be better for hills. Maby even get a used hydro like Matts Mowing said. If you are using it for the hole lawn you might want to wait for the Fast 44.

5. VTFly

VTFly LawnSite Member

This is a tough decision for me. I have a 10 year old Cub Cadet 2155 that has a beaten up 42 inch deck and a broken seat, so I am seriously looking at a purchase. My goal is to buy something that will be more maneuverable than the old Cadet and better built. This is why I am looking at commercial walk behinds. The sulky is important because it takes about 90 minutes for me to do all of the mowing now (should be less with a walk behind), and I do not want to exhaust myself walking up and down a hilly lawn for 90 minutes.

I have thought hard about a ZTR (Hustler MiniFastrak 36 inch). Another lawn tractor has been ruled out- the decks are just not tough enough and most are too big. I need a deck smaller than 42 inches to get around all of the trees and shrubs we have.

:usflag:

6. BobcatBoy06

BobcatBoy06 LawnSite Member

I would also go with the toro, I'd get the 15 kohler T Bar you shouldn't have a problem pulling the hill. The traction the toro's have is actually impressive for its size.

7. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Maby we could better help you if you post up some pictures. if the hills have 15+ slope i would get the Toro but the Quick 36 will excel in tight spots (shorter than my 21" push mower)

8. VTFly

VTFly LawnSite Member

Good idea to post some photos! I shall take some tomorrow morning.

9. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

If you have lots of hills I'd get a dual hydo. My 52" ferris dual drive is 10 times better on hills than my 48" belt drive.

10. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member