Walk behind? Zero turn? Which style? Which brand?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cutandblow, May 29, 2004.

1. cutandblow

cutandblow LawnSite Member

Thinking about taking the plunge with a buddy of mine (or maybe solo).

We want to do residential only for now - he's done fairly big commercial before and hated it.

My Craftsman 42" (15hp Kohler) is fine for my yard, but I know we're gonna need something bigger and faster.

I want to ride - my buddy and I could alternate so we don't get too burned out trimming and blowing, but what are the pros/cons of either style?

And what brands do you pros recommend? I like the way the Cub Cadets look, myself. Maybe the M48 with the 20hp Honda?

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!!

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my best advice is to go to the dealers, feel out their prices, and their service qualtiy. It is nice to get a great machine, but its nicer to get a great machine with great service. Also ask them to demo the product. Either take it for a couple of hours or demo right there on their property

3. cutandblow

Thanks tiedeman - am just starting to really scope out the dealers here. I agree - that seems to be the biggest factor.

I'm leaning towards a small (44-48") ztr - If I go solo, seems like the best way to avoid being completely exhausted at the end of the day, and we hope most of our stuff will be small residential.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you have the lawn tractor, just start with that and see what kind of properties you get. A 48" WB will do a lot of work for you and will be a lot cheaper than a Z. If you get a Velke you can ride on the back. Start as cheap as possible. If you want to spend you money just be sure that you DEMO them. Try to get one on your lots and see how they fit. Any mower runs well on the dealers parking lot.

5. The Yard Barber Inc.

The Yard Barber Inc. LawnSite Member

Speaking of demos, you can find really good deals on demos because they only use them for a year. i just baught a 44" toro Z master and i love it. Before i got that i used a 38" John Deere and cut 36 lawns. i agree with PMLAWN start out cheap and work you way up that way if you decide you don't like doing it you can quit w/o making a big investment. One thing that my grandfather always tells me is that you have to crawl before you walk. Thats one thing that really helped me when i first started.

6. cutandblow

Thanks guys - I agree - we will be starting out small and let the business(or lack of!) dictate what to go to next. But you know how you were when you first started checking out all those cool new shiny tractors...:)

I'm getting the bug!