Walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tromba, Mar 27, 2005.

1. tromba

tromba LawnSite Member

Hi, guys!
    What brand walk behind would you suggest I buy - eXmark, Ferris, or Scag?
  2. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

anyone that dosen't have pistol grips if you run it all day your wrist will be sore. I myself would buy the toro. I priced one the other day belt drive 44in 17 kaw. Floating deck $3200
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

What size deck?
  4. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

They are all good brands in their own rite. Demo as many as you can. Check out the dealers that are selling them and look for a few things:1) is the sales staff knowledgeable with all the products they sell. 2) do they keep plenty of parts on hand. 3) is their service department large enough to handle multiple mowers at once. If something happens to yours, you don't want to be waiting for 2 weeks to get it back. 4) are they friendly, respectful, and attentive to your needs. Sometimes these simple things can be hard to find, and you'll find in the long run that they are far more important than the name on your mower.
  5. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I just picked up a eXmark Metro HP 36" on a impulse buy and I really like it so far. I already wish it was a hydro drive though. All you listed are fine machines and I think you would be delighted with any of them. The real key here is to buy from a dealer that knows your name after the sell. Dealer support is by far one of the most important issues when buying a piece of equipment!
  6. eatonpcat

eatonpcat LawnSite Bronze Member

Mowman, Where in Ohio did you get the price on the Toro, The price I got was 400 higher.
  7. JDeere Fan

JDeere Fan LawnSite Member

JD new 7H17. 48" 7 iron deck, hydro. Great machine. Give it a look!
  8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

how much do you want to spend? will this walkbehind have to go through gates? if it were me, I would buy a double hydro if I could. the eXmark turf tracer hp's look pretty good.

if your looking for a mower to go through 36" gates, my experience with the better outdoor products has been second to none. I believe that I could get parts from them quicker than my eXmark dealer. anyway, here's the website. betteroutdoorproducts.com it is a single hydro which means that you won't have any slippage, as with belts, but you also have to guide it manually. If you have more questions, feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer them as best I can.

9. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

exmark 48 inch viking, that is what I have and I love it!
  10. MJhnson Lawn

MJhnson Lawn LawnSite Member

I use 36" Scag WB, Belt Drive, 13 HP KAW and its a good durable
    mower. I keep up its maintenance schedule,and it runs great.
    The reason I went with the 36" was for entering gates.May be
    later this year I'll buy a 48" Hydro.