Walk Behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BB36, Jan 31, 2003.

1. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

I'm looking to find out if anyone can tell me if a Toro WB with a 12 HP Kaw., 36" fixed deck , belt driven , can or should pull a Velke with a 180-210 lbs. person on it , without doing any harm to the mower. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Gary Saxon
    Gulfstream Landscaping & Maintenance Inc.

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

It should be fine as long as it's not a proslide so it can just roll. Good luck.:)

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

My friend had Toro 44"ers with belt drives. I think they had 14 - 16 hp engines. He weighs , I'd guess 270+, and it pulled him with out much trouble. He did how ever get a lot of flats. Probably because they were single wheel velkies.

4. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

you shouldnt have any problems i have a 36inch with a 12.5 h.p. kawasaki and a one wheel sulky and i weigh 190 and it pulls me no problem

5. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

It will be fine, I am 205 and it did the job.

6. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

12 -17 Hp KAW is designed to pull sulkies for most WB, there is no problem at all on normal slope and small hill. Plenty of power...it hauls *ss.

Steep hill, I am talking steep hill like those on side of overpass or expressway that crisscrossed even the Z will roll over, you won't be able to pull up cause it is too dangerous, you have to fold your sulky and "walk up " only.

7. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a scag 36" w/b with a two wheeler, 13 hp kohler, I haven't been weighed lately but I'm pushing well over 200lbs. (220-230).
    No problems here in Fla. on flat ground !!!

Lou

8. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a new 17/48 scag belt drive,high grass,big hills,my 220 on a 1 wheel sulky,its weak!my next w/b will be a big hustler with some real ponies.Theres no such thing as to much power but there is a such thing as not enough.:rolleyes: