Walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by upsondown, Feb 4, 2004.

1. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking to buy a new walk behind and am curious which brands you guys favor - and why. I'm using 36" Proline and am not at all impressed - so it's time to change.
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I have heard Exmark is a nice mower you should demo one.
  3. Grump-e

Grump-e LawnSite Member

Exmark 48" Turf Tracer HP. Cold natured but cuts like crazy.
  4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Im curious as to what it is you dont like about your pro line, is it the mower or the dealer??
  5. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

I'll jump in on this one. I have a 15hp Proline with the 37" recycler deck. It cuts good as long as you are side discharging. If you are mulching, it bogs down all the time. In my opinion that does not cut it for a commercial mower. I will probably go with exmark next time.
  6. upsondown

Auburn hit the nail on the head - plus mine is a bear starting. Since Toro bought Exmark - me thinks I'll pass on an Exmark - as I did on my ztr.
  7. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

Exmark. Hydro. Suspended deck. Period. In my humble opinion.
  8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Just because Toro owns exmark doesn't mean they are lesser in quality. Exmark has always been one of, if not the best mower out there, and they've only gotten better over the years. Demo one and you'll see the difference instantly. I'd never own a Toro either.
  9. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Check out Hustler and Scag. Both are a little pricy, but built extremely tough. I own a Scag 48 with a 17 Kawasaki and it is one tough mower. Over 2400 hours and still going strong.
  10. upsondown

I've demo'd exmark and was not all that impressed. All I know is our local dealer predicts not so good things in the future for exmark - and is looking to take on another line entirely.