1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behind

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by specialtylc, Mar 17, 2004.

1. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 37inch Hustler and we really like its operation except we would like a larger engine option. Why wont Hustler put the 17Hp kaw electric start engine on these as an option?. We had our dealer call the factory before we bought ours if they would build one for us with the bigger motor. Answer was no. Why not? How tough can it be since they are identicle to 15 hp motor.
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is not a matter of it being to tough.
    It is a matter of $$$, how much more would it cost you ? the end user ?
    How many 17hp, 36" / 37" E/S walk behind's are sold in the market today ?

I will forward this request on to our product manager, and see if he has any comments.

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

It's just the Carb. If you have an old 15, you should notice there's a throttle stop keeping the carb from opening all the way. Fix it!! Or, if it's a newer carb, you can order the carb from the 17 for about $120. Either way, it's a cheap fix, that your dealer should already have offered you.
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

The reason they aren't selling is because no one makes one. Nobody made a 48" with 23 hp before the super walkbehind either. How are those selling? Take the Super walkbehind concept a step farther to the 32-37" machines. I believe if you build it they will buy. No matter what deck size. Walkbehinds have needed more power. HUstler was the first (and only so far) to answer the call in with the super 48"and 54". So don't stop now. any one buying a mower is going to realize that more power is going to cost more. At least give us the option please.
  5. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

As I originally posted we were willing to and expected to have to pay more for the larger engine. Also while tou are talking to the factory rep. tell them we would like to see a deck height adjustment system similar to the Z machines. You know single lever mechinisim . Husky has one. Then the Hustlers would be the perfect walk behind.
  6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

While it would be nice, I'm very happy with the stock setup. Since it only takes about 30 seconds to change height, and I don't change more than once a week, I'm sure most guy's won't want to go for the added cost.
  7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

It would also aid in lifting the deck when you zero turn on uneven ground, Like we do on the riders. Thats really my BIG compliant on walks and SOME smaller riders, Like the sentar and the stand ons.
  8. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Paul, I would pay for the extra Horsepower, and the deck lift.( Make them an option!) I would also buy a deck lift for my SWB.

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

You don't need an electric start on the 17hp twin Kaw...waste.

There's als a bit more to the conversion than carb from a 15 to 17 twin Kaw from what I understand.

What Hustler does need is a 32" dual hydro & also make that 37" a 36" or a 35" even...believe it or not the 37" would not fit through allot of our gates where the 36"'s just scrape by.