1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

walk behind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkirby, Jan 26, 2005.

1. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

Hi just found this site today lots of info. thanks.
    I have a question about these scag walk behinds, I never heard of them (who makes them)?
    I use a Johne deere stand on for small commercial and 21" walk behinds for residential. I here all this talk about 36" and up walk behinds for residential so you can work faster but still get through gates. What kind of yards are you using these in? Are they small acreages? Our residential back yards are 50 feet by 150 feet on average.
    I assume it would be faster with 36 in cut but wouldnt it be hard on the lawn and loose lots of tme in fenced corners and trees?
    Thanks allot appreciate it!
    Bussiness 15 years
    200 residential properties
    lots of commercial
  2. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

36" and 32" mowers are real nice for gated properties. Some of these guys on Lawnsite have large backyards they service. (larger than 50' by 150'). Most walkbehind mowers around 36" are very easy to maneuver. Especially hydros. They are a nice mix between large and small commercial mowers.

If you use the mower right, you won't damage the turf that much.

Scag mowers are made by Scag - here's more about the company: http://www.scag.com/aboutscag.html

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use a quick 36 and it works on properties form about 4,000 sqft and up. it really is in it's zone a complicated landscapes where there is lots of turning and stops. does great on hills too.

it doesn't fit through any gates where the post length from the inside is less that 39" (standered for all 36" wood gates, and about 50/50 chance on vynl). a 32" you can only buy with a belt drive so I won't get on of those unless I have a large acreage with a 34" gate. even then I'd probably split the cost of a larger gate with the home owner if they were willing.
  4. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

Do use it on small properties (postage stamps) or on small front lawns?
    I have condos side by side that have very small lawns. Would it be efficient or should i sick to the 21's?
    Does it mulch good? we bag everything right now!
    thanks mike
  5. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

Do the big tires leave the lawn all matted down? I think this unit would be great but my customers are used to 21 inch neatness and the lawns are very long here, week to week, can it handle it?
    thanks mike
  6. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I can't believe you've never heard of Scag mowers. They've been around for years and they are made by Metalcraft of Mayville in Wisconsin. Scag mowers were originally designed by Dane scag. He developed 3 lines of mowers. First was Bob-Cat which he sold to Textron, next he devolped Scag and sold them to metalcraft and then Great Dane which he recently sold to John Deere. He's gotta be a rich man.
  7. TClawn

it's very light for it's size (280lbs, normal is around 430lbs for a 36hydro) and does not mat the grass down in my opinion. if you mow the exact same pattern every time you are going to leave ruts eventually nomatter what you use.

I do mostly postage stamp lawns (4,000 to 6,000 sqft lawns) and it does great on them. the only problem that I have encountered is that ther is no real mulch kit. they make a mulch plate for it (I don't know how it works) but it does not baffle each blade in it's on chamber. the discharge is VERY good it throws three rows over with all high lifts and about two passes over with 2 gator and one high lift blade.

the no mulch kit is not a very big problem for me, I don't have many beds that I need to keep the grass clippings out of and I can handle blowing the few that I do have to blow out. if you have lots of beds the best option would be to get the blade blocker1 from trimmer trap. it's an Operator Controlled Discharge Chute the will come down over the discharge area when you are near beds so that you don't discharge into them.

the bagger for it works very well, it packs much better than my hrc 216 (I'm taking a guess that you use those because you say you bag everything) and is very light for a metal bagger.

if you have any more questions about it I'll be happy to answer them.
  8. TClawn

9. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

thanks allot for the picks but I still dont know about it. My lawns are very thick up here with lots of moisture and sun. 5 inches hich cut down to 2.5.
    thanks again for your help
  10. strongarm

strongarm LawnSite Member

Just so you know they do make 32' hydro mowers,exmark,bob-cat(ransomes),Toro. These are the best mowers for homes the size you are talking. They are fast,cut much better and are easy to use.