Lawn Care Forum banner

Walk Behinds-Exmark Metro/Any Brand

8K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  LifeBack Lawns 
#1 ·
I am new to walk behind deal. Strange I know, but I have only used ZTR's and push mowers. I recently picked one up (exmark metro) and now I feel like a trader! I have only ran Scag equipment and LOVE them. I have a 2012 52'' Tiger Cat with a 24hp Kawasaki currently, but found a steal on craigslist. I wanted one for many backyard gates where my 52'' couldn't fit, steep hills, between flower beds and mulch rings, rainy days, etc. I picked up a 36'' Exmark Metro with new gator blades and a 15hp Kohler Command pro(Cv15t).

The guy said his friend left it as he moved out of state and didn't want to carry it. He is unsure of the problems and just wants it off his property. He was asking $125 for the condition. I offered less of course and he took it. I will post pics later when I am done with them project. It appears everything is good on the engine internally, but the lower crank seal is leaking. The motor is torn apart not and missing the starter recoil and the air cleaner. It is also missing the wheel drive belts, some decals and the front caster wheels have severe dry rot signs. I have priced everything and found the best deals on all of the items. I have the motor off and I am going to take a wire wheel to all the rusted areas (pulleys) and paint them a nice black. I will strip the paint from the mower (too much to touch up) and repaint it the as close to the red as possible. After that I will put new decals where they belong and sharpen the blades. I will change the spark plug, oil, oil filter, and air filter as well. A buddy gave me an engine (same Kohler 15hp) he took off his Scag 48'' that he no longer needed so that I can have this in the rotation while overhauling the other.

Any advice, comments, questions, concerns, experience, etc. is fully welcome. I picked the mower up for $50 and may have to put $150 in it tops. Please any information you have or advice/tips on running a belt driven walk behind is awesome. Maybe a homemade striping kit or how this mower cuts and performs. I will continue to research and learn the machine, but in the mean time I h will be working on my "project." I have thought about fixing her up and selling it for a 36'' Scag on craigslist just because I feel like a trader, but time will tell. Maybe I will like this a lot after all the work that I won't want to sell it.

Thanks guys. Have a great night and thank you for putting up with the babbling.

See less See more
#3 ·
Why bother with decals?
So it looks new and in great condition. Can't be mowing with something that looks like a piece of junk or something most have never heard.

#4 ·
I would not trade for a Scag unless it's a hydro, nothing wrong with exmark/Toro. Replace drive belts every season for reliability. Make sure the shift lever is at your knee height and practice shifting(with your knee). Mix a little Lucas oil stabilizer with the grease in the transmission, they shift better. Kohler is a good motor, maintain it well and it will last. Wear anti vibe gloves as single cylinders on walkbehinds viberate the handles.
Forget sulkies, your hands will get a good workout and back down hills and drive up as it's more like reverse assist than reverse. Other than that, when set up right you have a good economical mower that will run cheap for yrs.
I know I'll catch flack for the sulky thing but we have Hustler and Ferris DD walkbehinds and 2 landscaper supply belt drives and belt with sulky sucks when wet/hills/ backing up or with heavy operators.

#5 ·
Thank you so much for the great advice and tips! I have no experience whatsoever and this is great news. Thanks Rick. I will have to take a look at the transmission being that you said to add the stabilizer with the grease. That has been a place I haven't checked out in the lubrication area as my hands have been full juggling yards sun up to sun down. Have a good night!

#9 ·
I have that same mower for trimming too. Using it for trimming you probably wouldn't want a striping kit.
But you could use an operator controlled discharge chute (OCDC). Or you'll be trimming one bed and shooting clippings into another bed.

As for the rust, I'd recommend spraying some rust converter onto the metal before you paint. It'll stop the rust from popping back thru your paint. And it makes a good primer so your paint will stick better.

The Exmark makes an excellent trim mower. It moves so much air it sucks the grass under the deck if you get close to them. It cuts down on the need for line trimming.

#10 ·
I have that same mower for trimming too. Using it for trimming you probably wouldn't want a striping kit.
But you could use an operator controlled discharge chute (OCDC). Or you'll be trimming one bed and shooting clippings into another bed.

As for the rust, I'd recommend spraying some rust converter onto the metal before you paint. It'll stop the rust from popping back thru your paint. And it makes a good primer so your paint will stick better.

The Exmark makes an excellent trim mower. It moves so much air it sucks the grass under the deck if you get close to them. It cuts down on the need for line trimming.
Being that it will be more for trimming I thought the same about the stripe kit. I would like to save it for my Scag Tiger Cat instead. That is good news about less wit the trimmer. The OCDC, what do they typically go for in price? Rust converter, this should be in any hardware store in the paint department or should I look somewhere in particular? Thanks again all for the help-previous and the future.

#11 ·
Who makes the best walk behinds? I have heard from a few people, but I want to see if there are different results/opinions.

#12 ·
To us it's The Hustler Hydro walk series pre 2007. Easy to change from walk(0-5mph F,0=2.5mph R) to sulky mode(0-8.5 mph F, 0-5 MPH R), Handles sidehill and slopes with ease, even our 15/36" handles the Bullrider sulky w/185LB operator with ease. With sulky reverses direction faster than any midmount without scuffing, really tough(dropped both off trailer, seprate incidences-broken tie down going 25mph) no major damage beyond road rash(landed upsidedown) easy H-bar controls only take 2-5 min to get good, hold all day fuel, smooth cut,excellent discharge and very durable(2753.2 hrs, still going strong) The only downfall is length and $6K new but well worth the money

#13 ·
Is this mower worth it to be honest? IF not, I would rather fix it up nice and sell it to get some kind of better walk behind. Any ideas/suggestions?

#14 ·
Who makes the best walk behinds? I have heard from a few people, but I want to see if there are different results/opinions.
Gotta say I love my 52" Scag Hydro w/floating deck. Handles evrything to include hills and tall grass and it has a smart control bar that makes it effortless to ride behind when the sulky is down. Whats really nice is you can back up with the sulky on and it doesnt harm the turf.

#15 ·
Gotta say I love my 52" Scag Hydro w/floating deck. Handles evrything to include hills and tall grass and it has a smart control bar that makes it effortless to ride behind when the sulky is down. Whats really nice is you can back up with the sulky on and it doesnt harm the turf.
Hmmm. I love my tiger cat and like matching equipment. I just have a lot to learn about walk behinds. Got this at a steal and wanted for small yards, backyard gates, hills, etc. which model do you have?
Posted via Mobile Device

#17 ·

Its the SCAG Pro V 52"

For some reason last year was it for these. They don't offer them anymore.

But I am super impressed with all the features and with the sulky attached it just tears through lawns.
I know what you mean with the 52" deck. I can run my tiger cat at 10mph if I want and knock my yards out. I don't know what the smart controls are, but your mower looks nice man.
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
I know what you mean with the 52" deck. I can run my tiger cat at 10mph if I want and knock my yards out. I don't know what the smart controls are, but your mower looks nice man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks man- that's just the SCAG file photo but it looks the same. The smart control I am referring to is the control bar and it's similar to a bicycle handlebar that controls the two hydraulic pumps. They offer a smaller deck currently but only in a fixed configuration.

#19 ·
update on fixing her up and some pics of the QOC. What do you think? Yes, I know, she is going to get a new paint job and decals as for now using it is more important.

Plant Tree Land lot Natural landscape Grass

Plant Property Tree Grass Land lot

Plant Building Window Land lot Tree

Plant Green Tree Land lot Grass

Plant Grass Land lot Building House

Plant Sky Cloud Automotive tire Tree

Plant Wheel Tree Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Plant Building Cloud Window Sky

#20 ·
a few more. The non striped pics are same yard at an early point and with my crappy 21''. This is why I was trying to get a 36'' of any sort with a good QOC. I am sure I will find things to pic on her about, but hey...the price was RIGHT :) What a blessing from God it was. Helps keep me around, get the yard done faster, etc.

Plant Tree Land lot Grass Natural landscape

Plant Building Window Property Sky

Plant Grass Landscape Tree Groundcover

Plant Tree Grass Shrub Groundcover

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.