1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behinds-Exmark Metro/Any Brand

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by LifeBack Lawns, May 4, 2013.

1. LifeBack Lawns

LifeBack Lawns LawnSite Member

Who makes the best walk behinds? I have heard from a few people, but I want to see if there are different results/opinions.

2. rickpilgrim

rickpilgrim LawnSite Senior Member

To us it's The Hustler Hydro walk series pre 2007. Easy to change from walk(0-5mph F,0=2.5mph R) to sulky mode(0-8.5 mph F, 0-5 MPH R), Handles sidehill and slopes with ease, even our 15/36" handles the Bullrider sulky w/185LB operator with ease. With sulky reverses direction faster than any midmount without scuffing, really tough(dropped both off trailer, seprate incidences-broken tie down going 25mph) no major damage beyond road rash(landed upsidedown) easy H-bar controls only take 2-5 min to get good, hold all day fuel, smooth cut,excellent discharge and very durable(2753.2 hrs, still going strong) The only downfall is length and $6K new but well worth the money

3. LifeBack Lawns

Is this mower worth it to be honest? IF not, I would rather fix it up nice and sell it to get some kind of better walk behind. Any ideas/suggestions?

4. toasted

toasted LawnSite Member

Gotta say I love my 52" Scag Hydro w/floating deck. Handles evrything to include hills and tall grass and it has a smart control bar that makes it effortless to ride behind when the sulky is down. Whats really nice is you can back up with the sulky on and it doesnt harm the turf.

5. LifeBack Lawns

Hmmm. I love my tiger cat and like matching equipment. I just have a lot to learn about walk behinds. Got this at a steal and wanted for small yards, backyard gates, hills, etc. which model do you have?
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. toasted

toasted LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

Its the SCAG Pro V 52"

For some reason last year was it for these. They don't offer them anymore.

But I am super impressed with all the features and with the sulky attached it just tears through lawns.

7. LifeBack Lawns

I know what you mean with the 52" deck. I can run my tiger cat at 10mph if I want and knock my yards out. I don't know what the smart controls are, but your mower looks nice man.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. toasted

toasted LawnSite Member

Thanks man- that's just the SCAG file photo but it looks the same. The smart control I am referring to is the control bar and it's similar to a bicycle handlebar that controls the two hydraulic pumps. They offer a smaller deck currently but only in a fixed configuration.

9. LifeBack Lawns

update on fixing her up and some pics of the QOC. What do you think? Yes, I know, she is going to get a new paint job and decals as for now using it is more important.

IMG_2617.jpg

IMG_2622.jpg

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2423.jpg

IMG_2462.jpg

10. LifeBack Lawns

a few more. The non striped pics are same yard at an early point and with my crappy 21''. This is why I was trying to get a 36'' of any sort with a good QOC. I am sure I will find things to pic on her about, but hey...the price was RIGHT :) What a blessing from God it was. Helps keep me around, get the yard done faster, etc.

IMG_2540.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2625.jpg