Walk behinds.... good for??????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, May 29, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I am sure this will raise some debate..but myself and the help for the past two years have been running ztrs , we have a 36 inch walkbehind..its only use is a few gated yards....nobody likes it, including myself..and now that scag and others offer a ztr with a 40 inch deck, which will be great for gated yards, it seems pointless to use a walkbehind verse a ztr...production is higher and we feel better at the end of the day, just wondering what you guys see in walkbehinds, other then a lower price that is better then using a ztr? Granted we do cut larger properties but we still have several 1/2 acre resdientials in the mix. :rolleyes:

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of our accounts lots are less than 1/3 of an acre. This is the size of the lot..cutting service is much smaller. So yeah a walkbehind is usefull to many. Some things may seem pointless to some but for others it may make sense. What works for one company may not work for all.

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

ZTRs have more maintnance and seem to tear up te turf more but mainly i have small yards and just starting out

4. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

I can see that use Alan....

5. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Well walkbehinds are good for wet lawns where riders sink in and make ruts all over. I dont see why you would buy a rider just for back yards though.

Bedros

6. milent

milent LawnSite Member

I would keep your walk behind for nothing else then a back up.
    I have found that in residential lawns a hydro w/b is faster than a ztr. Going around trees and fences etc.. the w/b cut all thses areas without having to trim. I own both a Lesco Viper 54 and a
    Lesco 52 Hydro and I like each one for different jobs. Wayne

7. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

just through a velke on if your lazy walk behind are nice for small property but you have a good point if you can fit a 40 inch ztr through most gates then im with you.the few smaller ones you gone need them or you can kiss your customers goodbye

8. toroboy

toroboy LawnSite Member

WALK BEHIDES ARE MORE MANUFERABLE. THEY CAN CUT IN TIGHT SPACES SO U DON'T END UP TAKING MORE TIME TRIMMING THAN MOWING. I ESPECIALY RECOMEND WALKBEHINDS FOR RESIDENTIAL AREAS MORE THAN ANYTHING , BUT THEIE STILL GOOD FOR DOING BIG COMMERIAL AREAS TOO, BUT I WOULD USE A RIDEING MOWER FOR THESE COMMERIAL LAWNS THAT IS IF THEY ARE BIG WHICH MOST OF THEM ARE. I HOPE THIS HELPS!!!!!!!!!111 :D

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Personally, I'm a ztr man, myself, BUT I can tell you, some people use walk behinds probably because it is what is practicle to them at the time of purchase - and there is NOTHING wrong with that! Atleast they chose a commercial grade unit - good thinking, right choice. Another thing is, is that with a walk behind, you can do things in ditches and on steep slopes that you could only DREAM of doing with a ztr or any other rider. Yeah, I know, you can do ditches and slopes with a ztr, but you're not going to do the extremes you can with a wb. I've always said, especially for those starting out, if you are going to buy any ONE machine, buy a walk behind first.

10. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I carry a 52" walkbehind and also my Toro Z Master,,and a 21" Proline and a chipvac. I have alot of lawns that are to hilly for the Z=rider and on some of my residental accounts i use the walkbehind just to cut in the yd like a painter cuts in the walls, this cuts down on alot of trim time for me and makes the job go faster. I have several commercial accounts that i only use the Z-Master. But my walkbehind is a must for some of the accounts i have. Marks Mowing Service