1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk Behinds Only! No Riders

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CuttinUP, Apr 7, 2006.

1. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

If you were going to stick with the Residential lawns (3 acres down to 5000sq ft) what two size walk behinds would you have on the trailer? I currently have a 48" WB but there are a few lawns that have a smaller gate opening that I can't fit through. I am thinking of getting a 36" for the smaller gate back yards. But then it is so close in size to my 48" that I am thinking about getting rid of it and getting a 52" or a 60" probably the 52". Or should I go even smaller then a 36" and keep the 48". Wouldn't a 36 fit through the smallest of gates? I am thinking that if a 36 won't fit then I pass on it. What do you guys think?:confused:
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

60'' wb, 48'' wb, and the 26'' metro push mower.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i would say a 52 and a 36
  4. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Imo, a 36" with floating deck and hydro is a total waste of money. Get a belt if you want a 36".
  5. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

60" eXmark Turf Tracer and a 36" Metro or TTHP depending if the hydro was needed or not...
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

All I own are 48"s because there is always a gate that is smaller than my mower.
    Buy a 36" and I will find a 34" gate. Buy a 30" and there will come the day, too.

I ain't going smaller, I'd consider a 44" only because it's a float and somedays I get tired of the fixed deck's tendencies...
    But other than that, the 48" kicks!

A 52" is kinda a waste. It won't fit through any 4-foot gates, really it won't fit through most single gates... And, even though it's slightly wider than the 48", the 52" is a float deck and is a lot heavier, so the 48" fixed deck is faster and actually out-performs the 52" in every way. I just sold my last 52", thou I do like that big-boat feel of it, I will miss it when I'm doing my yard.

A 60" I'd consider, but you gotta have those acre+ lots or at least mostly flat. I did a 1.5 acre lot today, 95 minutes cut and trim (thou I had to take time out to bandage my hand after I burned it on the muffler, and the stopwatch was running because I was in too much pain to stop it). Problem with the 60" would be cut-height might have to be 3.5" but I think that would cover things as far as scalping, the 60" would out-perform the 48", float vs. fixed or not.

The 48" can handle those bigger lots, but I do admit it drags on the large ones. The best way to handle it is I see if I can divide into a few square sections (3 or 4), then do one square at a time and it seems to go faster than when I try to tackle the whole enchilada.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I sorta agree with topsites on the size issue.

I like a 48" better than a 52" for squeezing in places. (4' gates, under swingsets, ect). Places the 52" is too big to squeeze in. Plus, there is no real measureable productive difference between them, especially lawns that small.

But my suggestion is this... if you are going to go with a small one and a bigger one, get a 32" & 48" pair, or a 36" & 52" pair. Why? Well apply the K.I.S.S principle. Those pairs share the same blade size... 2 on the small one, 3 on the large one. Makes the little things simple and more cost effective. Bulk blade purchases of one size blade... nick one blade out of three on the bigger mower, toss it and set the matching pair aside for the two blade deck.

If you want the maximum production increase you'll have to step up to a 60" and a 44", 42", 36", 32" (biggest that wil fit the gates).
  8. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few yards that are 3 to 3.5 acres and I cut them with the 48 TTHP and man you are dragging ars after not to mention these yards use to be a farm field. It gives a whole new meaning to Bull Rider Wheels!:laugh: A larger cut would be nice and I have heard that like for instance a 60 TT or a 52 TT would be a lot smoother on these rough lawns then my 48 TTHP. Any truth to that?
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Any time you go from that small of tires up to a larger size and go to a heavier machine, things will travel smoother.
  10. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

Get the 32 Metro and the 52 TTHP.