walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 3glawnservice, Jan 8, 2008.

1. 3glawnservice

3glawnservice LawnSite Member

jest wanted to ask i got in the buisness last year got a toro52 inch walk behind.came acrosss a toro z master blown motor and a 48 inch scag turf runner? lm looking at buying a new mower but is it better to get 2 walk behinds or maybe three for what it cost me for one rider is it worth it on the time saved and also the down time? i have 27 redsidential and 4 apartments to keep up with and two enployes thanks for the info in advance :headphones:

2. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

Couple of questions,
    1. How big are your residential properties?
    2. How long does it take to do all the properties?

3. 3glawnservice

half acers 25/40 min tops and the apartments jest got them a total of 800 units i would say we can cut 400 a day so say 2 days to cut them all

4. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd probably stick with the Walkbehinds as the are more easy to maneuver, easier to maintain, and the ztr probably won't save you enough time with the amount of accounts you have. Half acre lots are really not that big for a walkbehind if you include the house thats on it as well, and sometimes a walkbehind might be faster then a ztr on smaller lots.

5. 3glawnservice

thanks alot for the info have a better year this year then you thought you could last year

6. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

My friend you will save a lot of time by going with a ZT mower. In this business time is money. I have two TORO walk behinds (T-bar, w/float deck and a pistol grip). While I love them, on occasion I have borrowed my friends ZT mower and the time saved was tremendous.

Make no mistake about it walk behinds have value, just depends on how they are being used. Also, consider the new standers (Wright, Great Dane and EverRide).

DJ-