Walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Youngone07, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Youngone07

Youngone07 LawnSite Member

Im starting to compare wb for next year, and wanna make the right choice with a little help from everyone one this site.

Okay ive got my mind set on the hydros, but then where do i go from there?

My main options are scag, john deere, exmark,and bobcat.

Is spending the extra cash for the v-pro worth it? Or are the ecs controls just as good.

Thanks for the help
  2. lawncare010

lawncare010 LawnSite Member

what size deck are u looking for? how mutch horse power are you looking for? what are you willing to pay for one? all thoes things add up and when you narrw down them things then we will be able to help you pick the one that is best for you
  3. Youngone07

im looking for a bigger deck 48 probably, but a 52 would be nice, also im looking at 17 hp, 19 hp, and 23 hp kaw engine. i can spend maybe up to $7k, so pretty much any walkbehinds.
  4. lawncare010

lawncare010 LawnSite Member

have you thought of buying a wright stand on unit
  5. Youngone07

for sure, the seasonal buying looks amazing to me, but as far as the walk behind category what would you guys consider my best option?

However Wrights are defin. in the back of my mind as a good 2nd mower

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Go with Toro's 48" walkbehind, you can't get any better deck than their Turbo Force deck and the best sulky out there Toro Tru Trak is only available on Toro walkbehinds.
  7. Merlin300

Merlin300 LawnSite Member
    from Zone 5

I have to agree with the above. I traded a 52" Toro, for a Exmark TTHP. I like the cut of the Exmark, but I hate the controls. My hands hurt by the end of the day, like the old pistol grips use to do. I think I am going back to a Toro T bar next year.
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Your right, My TTHP had a lot of spring pressure and to make things worse the hydros were jumpy.
  9. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

If your hands and wrists hurt at the end of the day like mine used to not to mention those pos sulky's where your feet are cramped in the same position all day long. Toro's T-bar and their Tru Trak sulky have relieved most of the pain I used to have. I'm still sore at the end of a hard day working but feel a lot better than I used too.
  10. mike r

mike r LawnSite Member

try the green machine john deere 7H17, 17 horse kawasaki 48" 7 iron II deck with john deeres own high lifts for blades,what an awsome cut, 0-7 mph forward,0-3 mph in reverse.the pistol grips are very smooth,and very easy on the hands, all this and a brand new john deere ball cap for 5425 including 6% sales tax!

good luck,