1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MrUPS, Apr 17, 2002.

1. MrUPS

MrUPS LawnSite Member

Just had a couple of questions maybe somebody could help a new guy in the buisness just starting out.
    First of all I live in New Hampshire and wow has it been hot the last couple of days! It was in the upper 90s this afternoon while I was out doing my clean ups. Ok now down to buisness!!
    I am looking to buy a 48" walk-behind, belt driven. Like anyone else I would like to get the best deal possible.
    I have had a couple different quotes from dealers around, 2600 for a Husqvarna 15 HsP Kohler engine. Or a Bobcat 17 HsP Kawisawki engine for 2900.
    Do these sound like good prices? Can they go lower? Which mower is better or is their another brand I should go with. I now a lot of people swear by John Deer but they are a little expensive.

Thanks for your help
  2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

First off why belt driven? (wait until its wet and the belt slips every 1 min, and you cant back up) Look into a hydro.

Lesco WBs are one of the best you can buy, they pattern and cut nice, mulch well too. But what you should do is go to the diffrent dealers and get on each brand and take a little test spin see what you think.Also form what many post here so how there service is when it comes to repairs.

Best to you Rob!

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

I have all belt drive mowers, and yes they will slip the belts, but I only have that problem if I'm trying to cut while its raining. Otherwise they are fine. Everyone keeps telling me to go hydro which does have advantages. Keep this in mind with belt drives though - inexpensive to repair and are usually lighter in weight than a comparable hydro. Try to demo to see what kind of controls you prefer.
  4. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

All of my Equip. is hydro(7 machines) and i love them, but on the other hand have never even used a belt driven, one thing is for sure, the hydro is almost double the $, but are more user friendly, from what i have heard, also one of my pieces is a Deere and love it, it has been great without any prob. and has 600 hours, good luck with you search
    AK Lawn
  5. MrUPS

MrUPS LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for the comments. I think if I had the money I would maybe go for a hydro but I think I would rather go with the cheaper belt driven, How about the Prices for those mowers are they good or should I stay clear. What have you guys paid for your mowers.
  6. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Our 15 HP Bob-Cat 48" belt drive (fixed deck) was 2600 with jungle wheels. Our dealer did give us a break.
    Bob-Cat makes a floating deck, which I would rather have.
  7. rjburns

rjburns LawnSite Member
    from MA

mrUPs, Just wondering if you formerly worked at UPS?
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Find an eXmark dealer around and get the best cut in a w/b out there. Great company and they are on this forum to ask questions and help with anything should you have any problems. The others you mentioned are not this accessible for help.
  9. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I currently run an Exmark 48" metro which is belt driven. It has a 15hp kohler and I love it. the mower is awsome at mulching. In starts easy in cooler weather. Plus like Hoss said, Exmark has the BEST customer service out there. If you have a local dealer demo one, you will not be disapointed. I have yet to have a belt issue with slipage. One thing i can say is run Mobil 1 synthetic 10w30 in it and always shut off the fuel when you trailer it. No grease spindel barings. great warranty, 3 yrs on spindels.

check out Exmarks portion of this site and see their customer service skills then decide.

10. Lawn Man 5

Lawn Man 5 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I have a 48in belt drive Husqvarna With a 15 horse Kohler I paid 2500 for the mower, and 259.00 for the bagger.