Walk Behinds

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by shiznitttt, Jul 18, 2004.

1. shiznitttt

shiznitttt LawnSite Member

Well I just got a Scag 32" 15hp Kohler, and man it sure takes some time to be able to use it without taking out a mailbox or flower garden. Practiced all day in my yard and my back and shoulders are still tired. I will remember one day that I am not strong enough to hold the mower from going into something and to apply the thumb switches that put it in neutral. I still haven't used it on a property yet. And was wondering if it is any easier to control with the use of a velke, or proslide? Any comments on how to make it easier are appreciated. Oh, I felt like I was on a carnival ride the first time I made a ZERO turn and about got flung across the yard. My wife sure enjoys watching me get thrown and spun around in yard. Thanks.
  2. birdmann

birdmann LawnSite Member
    from fla

LMAO ..Now thats some funny stuff ..:)

I would try to slow it down a little when you 1st get on it ..Sometimes it just takes a little bit of time just to get
    used to new equipment ..You will be fine :)
  3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I second that. LMAO BIG TIME:p
  4. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Too me a velke will make it easier on your body (No Walking)

If your areas is small I would walk anyway,learn to run it in a low gear now when you get close too something press brakes halfway this nuetralizes the machine and pull it back to you.

So you don't have to use reverse.
  5. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

Shiznitttt, I have a Scag 61" Hydro WB and use a velke. The velke recently had a flat so I had to walk and you do not know how much you appreciate those things until you are without them. My stripes were awful and my loss of productivity just sucked. But Yes, if I were you I would defnitely get one! It makes it so much easier to handle. Check out eBay there are some on there right now at good prices. Good Luck!
  6. shiznitttt

Thanks, I am going to try the proslide first, and if I don't like that, I will move on to the "wheeled" versions. My back and shoulders still hurt from trying to get the machine to do what I am thinking not what my hands are telling the controls. If you see the video of a fat man being thrown across the yard on the next "Funniest Videos" it is probably me.
  7. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I too just got a walkbehind mower, I am still working gear 2 trying to get used to it, I have no problem going this slow, because its still faster then pushing my walkbehind. Take it slow, and work with the controls, offer to mow your neighbors yards for free. This will make you a better neighbor, and get you some free practice. Make sure you tell them why you are not charging them!
  8. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

Hey Shiznitttt, Let me know what you think about the proslide. I have not tried them and I dont know anybody in my area that has one. I personally like the velkes because of looks. If you would let me know your Pros and Cons about the proslide I would appreciate it. Thanks
  9. shiznitttt

I should have mine in on Saturday. I will try it out. I hope that my 15 hp kohler can pull my fat azz.
  10. EastTnLC

EastTnLC LawnSite Member

LMAO!!! aaa...Dont worry about it Im sure it will. Anyways Good Luck!!