Walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowforMoney, Sep 19, 2004.

1. MowforMoney

MowforMoney LawnSite Member

I think for next year I am going to get a new walk behind. My only thing is I don't know what I should get. I am thinking about getting a small one. Like a 32" or a 36". The only reason I want to is so i don't have to have my 21inch for fences anymore. I was wondering if anyone has used any of these mowers: The billy goat believe its 33", the quick 36", and I was also checking out the sutech 33", looked like a nice mower, just havn't seen any of them. Now besides that I was also thinking about getting a scag, either 36" or probably the 48". I know I want the hydro version of the scag, just wondering what everyones oppinion on the scag was, or if it exmark was better to go with. And I am going to demo all of these for myself, I just like to see what everyone has to say. So feel free to suggest anything else to.

2. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

For the 32" to 36" models, these models would be something to look at:

Toro/Exmark 32"
    Ferris 32" hydro
    Any commercial brand 36" would do well.

The Billy Goat 33" mower is not bad and has a lot of potential. It is light weight, compact and leaves a nice cut. However, the Briggs engine sucks up too much fuel, height adjustments are a bit bothersome, speed control is too abrupt and I am not sure how it cuts in mulch or bagging mode.

Stay away from the Sutech 33". Too many quality issues and it leaves a bad cut.

Of the choices listed, the Ferris 32" or Toro 32" would be my choice. The ferris a single hydro and you have to manually steer while the toro/exmark steers itself but it is not a hydro.

Good luck

3. I use scag hydro walks..they are built like tanks Indistructable.Cut great and stripe great without a stripe roller.

Only problems ive had was a coil that went out on the engine on my 36.
    Ive always been pleased by the performance of scag walkbehind's

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Better Quick 36. They have a banner on top of the page. Its a hydro too!

John

5. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look at your Yazoo/Kees dealer. I got a flier about a week ago. 36 inch belt drive walk behind for just under $1900 This is a good durable machine requiring very little and simple maintainence.

6. MowforMoney

MowforMoney LawnSite Member

The yazoo mowers look like good mowers I was checking them out on their site, But I prefer Kohler engines over the Kaw.

7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a Bob-Cat!!!!!!! Bob-Cat's stripe fantastically, their quality of cut is far superior to all other brands and they are built like tanks!!!! A Bob-Cat mower will not let you down!!!!

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Scag is definately a tough and good mower. Id go with the 36" for gates. I have had one for quite some time and even with my bigger mowers, I still use the 36" a lot for gates. I have recently purchased a 48" and have been able to access gates as well, however u must be able to manuver it. It can be a little tricky, but practice makes perfect

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

eXmark HP's,,,,,,No one Builds Better Residential Walks for Mulching...Scag uses Same Carrier Frames on all Deck Sizes Which Makes Them Long......Toro Walks are Garbage Period...Don't Like H-Bar on the Hustler's...And Anything less than DD Hydro's Just Plain Suck !

http://lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=17840&stc=1

dishboy likes this.
  10. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

So basically if it isn't what you have it is a piece of crap?

ok....