Walk-Behing Brush Hog

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by American_Lawn, Aug 16, 2007.

1. American_Lawn

American_Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a contract through a real-estate company and they sometimes give me homes that have grass that has not been mowed all season. I do not like running my new ztr through them, risking my machine. My question is would a walkbehind brush hogg be worth the purchase. I get paid pretty good for knocking this stuff down, plus I can offer this service to other yards that lco's do not want to mess with. What are some good companies that make these?

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We use the Billygoat...but rent it because we only do 20 or so a year and simply don't have room for the darn thing....It works pretty good for what you want but it is a rough cut.

3. American_Lawn

thanks for the quick reply. do you think it would be more cost effective to rent one when needed? just a thought i usually do 1-2 every month. these are small lots, I mow them in about 5-6 min with my 34z

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

NO. Just use your z. this way you can put the extra money into an account for new equiptment. I would only buy if I was using it all the time and the rental fee on 6 minutes is just too much.

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

6. American_Lawn

grandview, thanks thats what I needed.

7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

dr is junk

8. American_Lawn

what other brands are there? please tell

9. Accu-cut Lawn Care

Accu-cut Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You definitely need to look at a Hustler Hog. They didn't make a lot of them...but you can still find them...I believe I saw a couple for sale on Hustler's web classifieds or here. Do a search in the Hustler forum to get some more info. They look much better than any dr piece of junk!

10. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Ginat-Vac, Ferris, Snapper, Simplicity makes a 25" hydrostatic unit available with Briggs, Honda or Kawi engines. Unit comes with slime filled tires and chain guards, etc. Haven't run one yet but I've heard they are better than the old Bachtold high-wheeled mowers.

Have seen a bad-azz looking tracked unit in the NT catalog. $10K is a bit steep.