Walk it off or measure

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bedbug, Nov 27, 2006.

1. bedbug

bedbug LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

For edging or fert how many of you guys use a wheel for your estimates or just pace it off?
  2. rocksrscott

rocksrscott LawnSite Member

I'm lucky for my county I go to the County Auditor Web Site and look up the Home or Business first if I can and get a very detailed lot plan or aerial view of the property.
    This will give me a very close idea of what is involved. When I arrive I will use the measuring wheel for anything that has changed or looks different than online.
    This will only work If I have a chance to look online before I see the property to give a quote. When that happens I will Walk some :walking: and Wheel some. :hammerhead:
  3. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I always use the wheel, helps make sure we stay accurate in our estimates and proposals. Plus once I get the signed contract back, I measure out everything, landscape beds, trees, lawn, etc....write them down on the back of my copy, so that I can plug the measurments into my landscape software for future work. Therefore, never have to measure when I get a call about a estimate from one of my regulars, just pull up their info, plug in a few numbers, and bam....a design layout is laid and I go from there. Actual doing that as we speak, just got a deposit on a Patio and Estate Edge design from one customer, and a retaining wall from another .... I am so excited to have both these jobs, because they are the only two homes that have people living in them, and the others are slowly being put up, but most are sold in this neighborhood. As each neighbor move in, this will make it super easy to add them on.
  4. Clear-Cut

Clear-Cut LawnSite Senior Member

what program are you using that lets you put in the measurements like that? sounds like it makes a lot of stuff really easy
  5. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

Landscape Pro III.....$1535.46 installed.....It was recommend by my Pavestone dealer. The guy who did their design software did mine....but trust me, it pays for it self. Makes everything simple and easy, shows 3-D graphics, and really allows your customers to get a visual and help close the deal. I love it, and recommend it also. Just as important as a mower if you do a lot of landscaping. It shows me where all the pipes, cable, and gas lines are when we excavate without calling CBD(Call Before you Dig).....
  6. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

To accurately know how much product you'll be applying when ferting, you should use a wheel, no doubt.
  7. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Ive done both, But I prefer the wheel. It makes you look more profesional and with accurate measurements..........there is less room for error

8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Dido! on everything
  9. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

For true measurement ... use a wheel. (At least have one in the truck)

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Always use the wheel ....