walk vs rider

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rjmj, May 2, 2002.

1. rjmj

rjmj LawnSite Member
    from mn

this is my first time here
    i do about 10 lawns on the side of my full time job. i am debating whether to get a walk behind or a rider. 2 of the lawns are pretty big and the rest are small-med. i only have about 2500 to spend so if i go with a rider i was thinking about the jd sabre i havnt really looked at wide cut walk behinds. right now i am using a old rider for the larger lawns and a 21" push for the smaller ones.
    please leave any feedback

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Commerical grade walkbehind would be your best bet. Nothing cuts as nice as a commerical mower. You get the professional appearance better.

Whats that good brand?

humm....

Oh yea, eXmark

3. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

for that kind of money you can get yourself into a cheap commercial walkbehind, forget about the rider they are nto worth the money unless you are talking about a ZTR but they are way too expensive, take a look at toro, hasquvarna, scag, ect. and also look into getting a sulky so you can ride it
    AK Lawn

4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I agree with everyone here. I know i say this a lot, but those ZTRs
    are too big for your small even medium lawns.Its hard to change directions on small lawns with a big mower like that.Which cause grooves and ruts. Get a WB with a velkie wheel to ride.Even consider Lesco brand.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I own belt and hydro w/b's and a Z. I can manuver the z into places and turn around much easier that a w/b. Especially with a sulky behind it. Although, I am speaking from using the Lazer HP. It has a much smaller footprint, so a larger Z would be a little harder. The LHP is designed for this type of stuff. Length wise its the same as a 36" w/b.

So, yes if you have a large ZTR you could have it easier using w/b's on smaller properties, but a ZTR for all situations (LHP) is the answer to that problem.

6. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

I agree I use my walkers on most of my lawns and they always turn out nice.

Some yards do need walked but the majority you can use a small Z on.

7. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

I have to agree also about the w/b being the best for you. When you get more larger accounts and have the income for the ZT, then go for it. I find, even in Florida, that our large 61" Bunton isn't leaving footprints or ruts at all. Don't know why this is.... 'cause others we know in the area have problems with ruts, but we don't even on small lawns. We've got several accounts who are VERY picky about this too! When you are in the heat of the summer here in Florida, you don't want to be walking behind a mower. But we started out small and then got a great deal on our 61" Bunton ZT, which we've had for 3 years and it is still purring like a kitten (a little louder than a kitten) LOL! We've got a smaller 34" ZT now too, but it was expensive also. Hoping it's as good as they say since it's fairly new to the market -- Encore Z34. We paid $3995 for it! We started out with a little Snapper zero turn (lots of problems) not to say everyone has problems with Snapper, but we DID! So, I agree that it's good to start our small.

8. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

With only $2500 to spend you are sort of limited to what you can get. You could get a new 32-36" belt drive WB. Or maybe you could find a GOOD USED ZTR for the money you have. I myself bought a used Walker MT 2 seasons ago. I paid $3650 for it.
    It was a 1993 Walker MT w/ 560 hours on it. I'm really glad I got the rider over the WB as I'm not limited on to the size of jobs I can take on. Not all POOED out at the end of the day either.
    Good Luck,
    Mowman