walkbehind controls

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnangel1, Oct 4, 2006.

1. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I was just wondering if you guys have heard or thought if companies like deere or scag will ever get away from the pistol grip controls. I love the exmark ecs controls, they are so comfortable and easy to operate. To be honest that is what sold me on the exmark over the scag. So just wondering if the ecs or t bar or even hustlers system be the new trend in walk behinds??? Or are pistol grips a stay for some companies?
  2. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think pistol grips will fully disappear, some people like them. Some day I will try the ECS. I like being able to push down on the grips to go over something.
    Question about the ECS. Do you always have to have both hands on the controls??
  3. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that eventually they may, but not entirely. Compared to the super walk behind of the exmark ECS, pistols have nothing but painful fingers, and numb fingers =).
  4. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

yes you can take your hands off as long as your on a straight a way but i wouldnt recommend it for more than a few seconds. You would also be surprised how easy you can push down on the controls and lift your deck over curbs etc.
  5. Godfather

Godfather LawnSite Member

the safteys are connected so you can take one hand off, but i do sometimes have trouble popping the deck up. it seems i pull back and don;t push down as much
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

if you keep the speed control leaver at the speed you need, yes you can. i don't think you are going to do it for long with bumps and berms.