Walkbehind deck question???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by eddings, Oct 10, 2007.

1. eddings

eddings LawnSite Member

Why don't they make walkbehind decks as easy to adjust as they do ZTRs. It is so nice to pull a pin and lift the lever and replace the pin. Takes 5sec. I hate having to pull 4 pins and lift on the deck 4 times. Not to mention you can make finer adjustments with the ZTR decks.

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

D@mn good question. Im annoyed by the same thing. Just gotta deal with it.

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Because it would cost another $50 in materials putting it over the price of other mowers in its class. Not to mention they want you to buy a rider!

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Ferris,Husky to name two.

5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I've often wondered the same concerning Wb's, mine's a fixed deck, there are no pins on the deck, it's all done via the frame and front casters but fixed decks have an added bonus: sealed bearing deals where the blade bolt goes through the deck itself and a nut goes on top, there are usually four 1/4" washers per bolt, that's how I learned about washers on the bolt :)

Either way they could make a lever adjustment, but I tell you the easiest way I have found thus far is between blade changes adjust the washers on the blade bolt... Of course it's one height fits all for the entire next day, but at least it beats dealing with the frame. Now on the toros we can adjust by 1/8", we can do it via the deck and front casters but it's usually easier to run to the hardware store and find yourself some 1/8" thick washers to stick on that blade bolt, between spindle and blade. Now of course the reading is off as far as the charts go, still that's what I've gotten to doing, just use washers on the blade bolt, I get tired of dealing with that mess.

6. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

That is one the best questions I've come accross here on LS! There are some days when adjusting height on my Hustlers that the deck feels like it weighs 9000 lbs.!!!!! I wish I could cut all of my residentials at the same setting.

7. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, a better deck would be great. would be nice to be able to raise/ lower in a few seconds

8. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Put a small piece of 2=4 under one side of the deck. that way you can pull two pins without holding the deck up.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Snapper has a floating deck with cranks that is very easy to change, been around for several years.