Walkbehind drive systems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Dec 5, 2002.

?

Which one do you prefer and why?

1. gear/belt

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  2. single drive (ferris)

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. dual hydros

26 vote(s)
    57.8%
  4. pump & wheel motor

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I see there are alleast 4 drive different drive systems offered on various mowers. I just wanted to see what you guys like best. If you would like to add details of why you preferr a certain system, feel free to do so!!!

Thanks!

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

As "Doctor Joy" would say, Don't tell a story, "what's your question to me"? Instead of beating around the bush we could probably be of more help if you "outright" just told us what you are looking for. Don't bother with a polls, unless this is going to be in "US" magazine:p Just get to the point...............

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Switchless,

I did ask what I want to know. Did you vote? The reason for a poll is I got good results when I couldn't decide what new trimmer to buy. If I were to come in here and just start a thread like "which drive system is better?" it wouldn't take long for it to become a big "mine is better'n yours" catfight.

:dizzy:

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

envy you dangled the bait so I'll bite.

for the money you can't beat a belt drive and in particular a LESCO.

for probably everything else a dual motor hydro is probably the ticket.

so far I have gone for the money. purchase price that is!

GEO

5. Doc Pete

No, actually you are missing the point. We can all be of better help you tell us what you want. I know "you know" what you want out of the polll.........Why don't tell us so we can be of better service........ Do you want a WB, rider, outfront machine, bagger rider, tractor??? Is maintance your concern? Is it price? Is it parts availablitiy? Is it easy of repair? Is it turning? Backing up? Is it, easy of learning how to use the machine?????? Don't make a big secret of this.... just spit it out..............
    Pete

6. Doc Pete

And I don't disagree with that........ However, even if you asked what drive is better, without letting us know "what" you want to do with the machine, you cannot get an accurate answer, since different conditions with make one drive better than the other.....
    Pete

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Envy Lawn Service, this software is equipped with the ability to post polls, use that feature as you like. I for one perfer dual hydros for the mere fact that you have instant reverse.

MATT

8. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybee im wrong, but i believe that pump/wheelmotors are the same as dual hydros. On 90% or so of the WBs, there are two pumps situated on the rear of the machine. They both drive seperate wheel motor that drives the piece. The only exceptions i can think of are old Deeres and Ferris DD which use eaton drive units

9. Ferris offers single and dual hydro drive, the dual is an eaton hydrostatic transmisions, I am pretty sure this is the only company that offers this type of hydro design.

Then you have the dual pump and wheel motor set up.

So I belive the duel pump and wheel motor design is the best.

No down hill runaway. No down hill figitiness. Very slight up hill stiffining of the steering levers.

They run about $900 including labor to replace each complete side, around the same as the eaton unit.

Labor time to change fluid on an Exmark hydro drive unit is less than 5 min and right around $20, and the Ferris eaton is a 30 minute deal and no less with $65 worth of filters

10. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

switchless---

envy is prob wanting to cut sum' grass with the machine, wouldn't you think???