walkbehind edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by columbiaplower, Jul 30, 2000.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i just started pushing edging this year. i had only been edging the 4 commercials but i did some reaserech and found i could make some real money. i have a old craftsman i've been using and just got the stihll fs75 stick edger. but i need a new walk behind. what do u use and the pros and cons. what would u recommend? thanks<p>nick

2. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I HAVE A LITTLE WONDER COMMERCIAL 5HP.<br>Major complaint is that the belts slip when the going gets tough on a new customer the wasn't edged in years.<br>Major plus is that I saw it by the curb being thrown away with nothing wrong but a cracked spark plug !<p>jeff

3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a Husky, the belt slips very easy in tough going,rather slow machine.

4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Trick for edging those walks that haven't been done for years (Little Wonder takes a 10&quot; blade, most others at least 9&quot;): keep an old used blade for this type of edging. On the same machine, you have a lot more power delivered at cutting tip with a 7&quot; blade than with a 9&quot; or 10&quot;, and will reduce belt wear and slippage.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I mentioned this in a different conversation regarding drivebelts on walk behind mowers but it applies to this too. Go to the hardware or auto store and pick up a canof belt dressing (couple of bucks). Just a SMALL squirt on the inside of the belt, it'll work like new! Wel, provided that the belt isn't TOO worn out.

6. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

i heard that JD wb edgers are good too, anyone use one?

7. niblick49

niblick49 LawnSite Member

Try out the Tanaka TLE-550 Gear Shaft driven edger. Our golf course uses one for the entire course cartpaths. It's a hoss.