walkbehind in pickup bed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Kingbman1, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Kingbman1

Kingbman1 LawnSite Member

How many of you guys work out of your pickup truck. Ive seen a guy with a 36 inch and a 21 inch loaded in his truck going house to house, unloading and loading.

2. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

exactly what I do. I have a F-150 a 36" scag WB and a 21" Honda that i roll up my steel ramps. Works perfect, maybe takes 5 seconds more this way then buying a trailor, I just dont need one yet.

3. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

F-150, 48" Scag WB, aluminum ramps. I'm unloaded before you find a parking spot for that huge trailer. Here in East Tennessee, the roads, and driveways, can be small.
    People ask me why I don't have a trailer "yet." I don't need a trailer, I have simplified. If I had a trailer, I'd fill it, and the truck. I've been doing this a long time without a trailer, and don't see a need for a trailer, and a big supertruck to pull it with.
    Some people are intimidated by loading a WB into a truck. I am not.
    Crawdad

4. CoachLinz

CoachLinz LawnSite Member

1/2 GMC pickup w/ a 48" Bobcat w/b in the bed + trimmer, blower, etc. Works great - quick, easy, less expensive.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be intimidated too.

Jimbo

6. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

There is nothing wrong with doing it this way but you are limited to what you can take with you from job to job. So then you are forced to do other work at another time because you can not fit all the need equipment in the truck bed. I myself carry all my equipment with me on a 6 1/2 X 16 open trailer so there is never a need to go back to the shop for anything. Do what ever works for you the best. I'm going to be getting a 20' - 22' enclosed trailer in the near future :)

7. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

Last year I worked from the bed of my truck. I only had a 21" Proline, trimmer, blower, gas cans, misc tools.

Every night and morning I'd have to load/unload everything, not to mention at each property.

This year I have a 5x12 trailer and I do FULL SERVICE. If it weren't for the trailer I wouldn't be able to haul around bags of fertilizer and my spreader so I can do an app after I'm done mowing.

I also end up with branches, sticks, grass clippings, dead flowers, weeds, etc... in the back of the truck each week. I also bag a couple properties because they have pools in the backyard. So now I have room for all that stuff.

At the end of the day I back the trailer into my garage and that's it.

I can understand if all you do is mow 'n go, but if you do full service and landscaping, you need a trailer. A client might come out one day and ask for a yard of soil, I like knowing that I can have it there in less than an hour without going back home to unload the back of my truck.

9. turkp15

turkp15 LawnSite Member

48" Viking and a 21" honda w/ a echo trimer and blower all in the back of my truck. works great for me, but I can't wait till I get my enclosed trailer.
    ~Jeff

10. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

I have a Ford Ranger & trailer and now one of these, it's a Ford 1.5 ton with a taillift makes life easier...We too have small places to get in and out of, now use the Ranger as a "Estate Car"for large country houses where the tools are mostly kept on site.

http://community.webshots.com/album/50631124DQRCzy

Regards
    Andy