WalkBehind Mower hesitates before turning

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by louviljlj, Aug 8, 2006.

1. louviljlj

louviljlj LawnSite Member

I have a 48" Walkbehind Mower with a standon Swivel Wheels that I am having trouble with manuevering. When I go to make a direction change it takes a second or so to make the move/turn. It is kinda of dangerous because I never know if it is gonna turn or just keep going straight before it decides to turn. What is wrong? Should I add more wieght to the front?

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

what year, make and model is this WB specifically?

3. louviljlj

http://lambertlouviere.com/Toro Mower 2.htm
    A Toro 48" Gear Driven with 15 hp Kohler engine. I have heard about gear driven vs Hydrostatic where you get slippage in wet conditions but I am using it in dry conditions. I need to know what effects turning ability/slippage?

4. CutInEdge Lawn Care

CutInEdge Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Did you change the angle of squeeze on the triggers(handles). If you changed these so you didnt have to squeeze down alot then go back to square one. Worn belts, brake bands, bent linkage. Good Luck!!

5. louviljlj

Ok, There is a wing nut to adjust the brake band and there is the other bar going to the Brake/Nuetral toggle at the end of the handlebar. If I tighten up on the brake wing nut to bring the brakeband closer so that it doesn't take as much on the handle bar lever to get it to turn that helps. Tightening up on the brake wingnut means that now I have to adjust the bar going to the handle bar because I then can't get it into the brake position toggle. If they were independent it would be easier but adjusting one of these messes with the other. The mower is brand new and I set it up so I am doing something wrong here. Any Advice?

6. louviljlj

It is better but I have to squeeze with all my might to get the handlebar toggle from nuetral to the brake position. Everytime I try to adjust it so it is easier I end up going back to the original problem.

7. CutInEdge Lawn Care

I notice in your 25 cent post that you put a sulky on. Are the wheels popping up. Did this start after putting the sulkey on, didnt do it before sulkey. If new why cant you take to dealer or did you buy online?

8. louviljlj

I put a 10 lb barbell wieght on each of the front wheel spindles to keep the front wheels on the ground. I did that this evening and like I posted adjusted the brakes closer. The weights definitely help with keeping it stable and from the front jumping up when hitting a hole or cutting the ditch. Everything works great now except for figuring out how to adjust the handlebar toggle Neutral postion " having hard time getting it into the brake position. I don't live near a dealer "an hours drive away so I think I will tweak it myself. I don't even want to deal with Toro anyway they are a joke.

9. CutInEdge Lawn Care

Well I am sure someone on here with a Toro will be more than willing to help out after reading the post. I believe Topsites runs toro, cant remember.

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Sorry if this is obvious but, don't you have a manual? Also, bent wheel pulleys will cause this too but you said yours was brand new.