walkbehind mowers, how productive are they?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CrewCutEnterprises, Jan 13, 2006.

1. CrewCutEnterprises

CrewCutEnterprises LawnSite Senior Member

Ok. Well Im going to what i call back to basics this year.

Im starting another crew and they are going to be running
    36" 48" toro fixed deck gear drive t bar mowers
    2 trimmers 1 edger 1 blower.

Im going to run them all out of a van or a single axel 10 or 12 ft cutaway van.

Anyone do this??

Check out my new website. www.simplylawnmowing.com yes there are some spelling mistakes etc, i need to go back and fix them

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Walk behinds are productive on small yards and are less like to tear the turf. If you are mainly going to be doing small yards I would get a 36in hydro. The hydro is going to be more productive and easier to maneuver on small properties. We have two 48 ZTRs and 1 Toro 37 belt-drive midsize. So I have experience with a belt-drive and when we need another walk behind it will be a hydro.

3. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

Why do you post your prices on your website? Well i guess that doesn't matter as much. But your going to run into the customers that are cheap and want it every other week when it should be done every week.
    james

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 32" wb belt drive and while I know a hydro would be far superior, I am really not impressed with the productivity of a wb. If I were you I would SERIOUSLY consider a small ZTR like the Gravely 34Z or equivalent - priced competitively (i.e. $3900) with a hydro wb, but a far better option, IMHO.

Also, on the topic of you posting your prices on your website - I have no beef with your prices. However, it has been my experience that if there is no real incentive to have the lawn mowed weekly, they will choose every other week, every time (keep in mind I mow southern lawns though). My point is that $25 weekly or $30 every other week, gives them no incentive to go weekly. I tried this for a while but now my every other week price for a $25 lawn would be $40. So, to the customer, they can get twice the service for 25% more dough, and they usually go for it, which is better for me and their lawn gets royal treatment.

Just my thoughts. . .

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

WB, especially hydros work very well on city properties I have found.

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

No use for walk-behinds except in back-yards and extreme hills. We put are 60"s on everything.

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

no use for walk behinds? damn! I blew it again.

GEO :dizzy:

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

pick up the pace:p

9. scagchevy4life

scagchevy4life LawnSite Member

i use my walk behind for everything. 2004 scag 48" floating deck.. Probably the best thing ive ever bought.. I got a good 40 lawns.. but they are each around .6 acres.. its in a gated community in CT. For those lawns.. i find mine is the best deal... A rider for future would be good.. but with addition of second person.. walk behind as a bigass trim mower...
    :gunsfirin its all about how you like to take out the grass.. quickly.. or take ur time...

10. ALBsun1

ALBsun1 LawnSite Member

You've never used walk behinds? What normally do you use in Annapolis? Strictly Z's? On 10,000 sq ft properties? Yeah walk behinds are great. Get one belt drive 36" for gates, and one hydro 48", that way you can save a bit of money and sample both types for yourself. Lets see a pic once you get your walk behinds. I am curious to see what type of setup you will have and how you will be getting everything in and out of a cargo van. Seems interesting.