1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Walkbehind Mowers - The standard

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eng Mwr Guy, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

Hello all

I am an engineer in the lawn & garden industry that is assigned to the walkbehind mowers.

My dilemma:
    I was hired to create a "new/revised" 2002 walk behind mower that will serve the commercial mower with excellence.

My question:
    What do you look for in a commerc. mower?
    Looking beyond brand loyalty what features are required for you to purchase a new mower?
    Who is the "best" in your opinion? More importantly...why?

Any advice would be appreciated. I want to engineer and produce the best equipment I possibly can.

Thank You

2. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i know a lot of guys said on this forum complain about problems with the pistol grips hurting there wrist maybe you can design something like the toro with the t-bar .
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

high blade tip speed

better controls

great mulching ability

In my opinion, spend most of you engineering time working on spindles and bearings. Figure out a way to make them last longer. Some people get many hours out of theirs (ericelm) but other than the choppers, I don't know of many that will make it all that long.

Exmark is best so far. The first three are a given, but the spindles, well we will have to wait and see. Not enough hours yet to tell.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Since I live in the "dew" belt (Mid Atlantic) what I'd like is an Exmark that will cut wet grass all day long without cakeing grass on the deck and throwing wet clumps of grass. The reason I choose Exmark is except for the wet grass problem the machine is virtually perfect. Also, if you are looking at beltdrives try the Dana tranny instead of the Peerless.
  5. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

On a walk behind, Easy access to belts, Larger tanks, Parking brakes standard, High tip speed, I have yet to see a walk behind have the cut of my chopper. Velke standard, and a place that they fold up nicley when not is use. and keep them compact for easy transport. top access grease zert. manual blade engagment save cost, keep reliable, large dive tire so they do not leave tracks, and solid front tires to keep from going flat. easy height adjustment. high blade tip speed, and a bagger that rest atop the deck, and is easy to remove, doesnot stick out far, wont clog, does not blow back in your face, and easy to swith back and forth between discharge and bagging. Oh yea I forgot to mention Higher blade tip speed. lol

Good luck
  6. Rufur

Rufur LawnSite Member
    from md

a belt drive that will actually back up and solid handle locks that is ones that are easy to put in neutral and dont pop out my bobcat has 2 rollers that locks the handle in neutral and park and they have slipped out
  7. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

put easy stripers on them and operator controlled discharge
    wouldnt a sping loaded eeasy striper be better to push grass
    down ?

[Edited by rdh on 01-08-2001 at 04:07 PM]
  8. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Barry, What mower company do you work for? Also don't put a Kohler engine on it.
  9. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

make changing the oil not so messy (flexiable rubber hose with a plug which can be flexed away and into a drain area)
    also don't install the muffler on the side keep it up front ....and make the deck adjustable with pins not a thread like Snapper does ....Don't get me wrong I have a hydro snapper 36 .....has great control .....smooth and easy to maintain ....she mulches killer but I wish a kit was offered which I could quickly switch to side discharge like on a DC
  10. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

standard parking brake
    non-chaffing hand grips
    non-grass clumping when wet out