walkbehind or ztr for me?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 1999frontier, Nov 14, 2006.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I am just starting out for the most part next year and this is only part time for now. I mow a few lawns now and they range from 1/4 acre to 1 acre. I hope to add more for next year. There are no hills or steep slopes around where I live. I've only got one gated lawn. I didn't know if I should start out with a walkbehind or ztr. I was thinking ztr at the beginning, but the I started searching and thinking maybe I should get a good walkbehind. I've got a few choices so far. I thought about the Exmark Turf Tracer HP with the 19hp 48" deck, Exmark Lazer Z HP 50" deck, or the John Deere 727A 54" deck. I know two of those are riders but I've kind of got my mind set on the TT-HP if I get a walkbehind. I keep going back and forth in my head so I thought I would ask all you pros.

2. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

have you thought about a stander?

3. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

In the beginning I bought a used WB because it was in my price range, after a couple of seasons I bought a Rider and kept the WB because I thought it would make a good backup and I wasn't going to "give it away". It worked out to be a wise decision. SNAPPER PRO!!:usflag:

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Just get the turf tracer 60"23 kaw and have fun.

5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

My thaughts exactly , only one gated property and no hills. A Z.T.R cost alot more too.

6. John Gamba

from ct

Ultracut deck,200lb clutch,big air cleaner,lazer bearings and the ECS controls, nothing better.

147-789---------.jpg

7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

John, you can sell me that machine when you get your convertable,lol

8. John Gamba

from ct

No convertible for 07. Its looking like another Turf tracer 60" with the kaw motor. They are only coming kaw for 2007 and beyond. updated exmark web tomorrow!!! see you there!:waving:

9. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Sometimes my wife helps me and thats another thing I have to think about. Which one will be better for her to learn and easier for her to operate while I am trimming and blowing?

10. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Only new thing for the Turf Tracer is a rubber deflector chute:cry: I wa hoping they would put a 25 Kaw on it:laugh: